prologue

~"In the name of Allah, the most Gracious, the most Merciful" (Qur'an 1:1)

~
"In the name of Allah, the most Gracious, the most Merciful" (Qur'an 1:1).
~

Fascinating, how a pendulum will continue to swing back and forth, back and forth unless stopped by air resistance or an outside force.

Does the thought not ever bother you? That if the laws of physics didn't exist and outside forces didn't exist, then if I were to pull one of the bobs of the pendulum, it would oscillate back and forth until the end of time.

But to shatter your illusion as mine was shattered, outside forces do exist.

And that's what happened to my family. The outside force made an appearance.

My perfect family. The hardworking, nine to five corporate job dad. The loving, homemaker mom. The oldest brother on track to becoming a doctor and making everyone proud. The middle brother goofing around and making everyone laugh.

And me.

The only daughter and the youngest of the family, therefore prized beyond words.

The perfect, perfect family. A house with a white picket fence and siblings who bantered and fought but loved each other limitlessly. Brothers who were not only friends but protectors of their baby sister. Parents who still had date nights and conversations of jokes and laughter well into their forties.

Our happiness swung back and forth like the bobs of a pendulum. Seemingly never-ending.

But like I said, there are always outside forces.

And the air resistance that abruptly stopped our happy pendulum was sudden and shocking. Cruel, sharp. A jilting eye opener. Unfathomable and unbeatable.

And no longer were we the perfect, happy family. No more date nights for my parents and no more banter between me and my middle brother. No more laughter or happiness or even the slightest amount of serenity.

Because our pendulum had stopped swinging. And it had no intention of ever starting up again.

. . .

Assalaamu 'Alaikum (peace be upon you),

welcome welcome.

please keep a pack of tissues handy at all times. you and i are both not ready for this story.

thanks for reading!