BASTARD: chapter four

cloud

cloud

Red eyes stare at me and a snarl escapes the wolf's mouth causing Layne to flinch. My eyes drift down to the four-year-old clutching my leg as I try to think of ways to get us out of there. If it was just me, it wouldn't be that bad, but Layne was here.

If I move to grab her, the rogue will attack. If we try to run, the rogue will still end up catching us.

Another snarl fills the air and I notice a change in the wolf's stance.

It's getting ready to attack.

Without thinking, just as the rogue jumps I push Layne to the side. A scream escapes her and tears begin to fall as I feel the rogue collide with me. The two of us hit the ground and a grunt leaves my mouth when my head slams against the floor.

"U-Uncle!" I hear the tiny voice call out.

The feral bites into my shoulder and I wince slightly before turning to Layne.

"Go find a warrior — go find your Dad. Just get to safety, Layne!" I tell her.

"B-but!"

"Layne, go! Now!"

Layne stares at me for a minute before running off and the feral briefly glances at her. It looks as if it's trying to debate on chasing her or not. With the limited movement I have, I knew the wolf in the stomach to try and make it focus on me and not Layne.

It works, but a bit too well.

An enraged growl escapes the feral and I feel its claws begin to dig into my skin. My eyes drift to its canines and I know it won't be long before they pierce my throat.

I try to escape the feral wolf's grasp, but it proves futile. A scowl forms on my face and for once, I wish that I had listened to Gray. Death by a feral was not a fun way to go. If I was able to shift then I'd at least have a fighting chance, but I haven't been able to feel my wolf for years.

Being one of Michael's earlier subjects, the drugs to turn a wolf were still being experimented with. After trials and failures, it seemed like I was the perfect one, but after three years things began to change. The red eyes I had begun to dimmer, my wolf began to get weaker, and eventually, I shifted back into my human form.

It became harder for me to be able to shift into my wolf anymore and my human form began to grow weaker as well. After a few months, I wasn't able to shift at all. Michael tried to have the doctor inject me again, but it proved to be useless. My wolf was faint at this point.

It was dying.

I was dying.

In an attempt to try and save my wolf, I was put into a coma. For years the world around me continued to move while I lay lifeless in a dingy room. When I awoke from my coma, my human form seemed to be fine, but my wolf was gone.

And now that was biting me in the ass.

My mismatched eyes meet the feral's red and memories of the lab begin to flash through my mind. I had already managed to escape death once, maybe now it was finally time to accept it.

I begin to close my eyes just as another wolf growls out. My eyes reopen and I see Gray and Quinn's wolves. Gray launches himself at the rogue and it quickly moves off of me in order to dodge him. Quinn is quick to move to my side and with her snout she nudges me. I wince as I force myself to sit up and then stand. I use Quinn's wolf for support and take one last look at Gray before we quickly leave.

Did Layne manage to get to them?

Quinn and I continue to walk until we're out of the woods and we make our way to the hospital. The moment they see me, the nurses and doctors move to quickly help us. As I'm taken into a room, Quinn disappears to most likely shift back.

I can hear people around me asking questions, but my mind races back to the feral. The white room reminds me of the lab and I can feel my heart begin to race. Memories of when I first arrived at the laboratory flood my mind — the pain, the constant shifting between forms. A hand touches me and I flinch before closing my eyes.

The voices growl louder, but they're muffled. Michael's face flashes through my mind along with the doctor's. Memories of people constantly entering the room to observe us push forward. The daily injections and burning sensation follow and it almost feels as if I'm living through it all over again.

My head begins to pound and I open my eyes to see people in scrubs and white coats surrounding me. Their mouths move, but I can't focus on them.

I want to leave.

I need to leave.

My eyes search the room for an escape and the pain in the back of my head only grows stronger. Someone reaches out to me and I quickly slap their hand away before trying to stand up and make my way toward the door. My balance is unstable and my body sways. People move to stop me, they try to grab me but I fight against them and try to push past them.

I can't stay here.

I'm almost at the door when black dots begin to take over my vision just like they would at the lab. Dexter's laughter echoes within my head — a reminder of the way he would stand above us and just stare as we were in pain. A reminder that we were powerless against them.

I try to reach for the door handle and my hand brushes against it before the black dots completely take over and everything begins to fade to black.