BASTARD: chapter forty-six

Big update. Make sure you read forty-five first.

 Make sure you read forty-five first

cloud

Stepping out of the car, I stare at the large building in front of me and take a deep breath. Today was the day everything would change. As nervous as I was, I push those feelings back because I know that my nerves are small compared to what Onyx and Gaius must be feeling right now.

Councilman Steele is the first to welcome us when we arrive. Seeing as the trial won't be taking place until tomorrow, I would be putting us up in rooms.

We walk through the huge building which is just as big on the inside as it is on the outside. I glance around and out of the corner of my eye, I can see Gray lingering back with Onyx as the two talks. Onyx's face looks blank to the naked eye, but the longer you stare, the more you can see his nerves.

After so long of not knowing whether he'd have to have a trial or not, he was finally here. This would be the choice that decided if he lived or died and while we did have a plan, I knew that it must've still been hard on him.

Gaius didn't look much better. He was quiet and I could tell that he was thinking deeply. This was his mate after all. Whatever happened today wouldn't only affect Onyx, but him as well. If something went wrong, it could harm both of them.

Beside him was Quinn. She seemed to be trying to calm him down similar to how Gray was with Onyx. The determined expression on her face told me that she wasn't going to let anything go wrong without putting up a fight first.

Onyx's parents were also coming, but they'd be arriving tomorrow. I knew it would make him feel a lot better to see them.

When we arrive down the hall, Councilman Steele quickly directs everyone to their rooms. Mate pairs were obviously put together, but the unmated wolves were randomly placed. That would've been another benefit of Raiden being here — not having to bunk with an unknown wolf.

Gaius moves to Onyx and he grips his hand before leading him down the hall to their room. Nobody bothered to stop them seeing as this would be the last day they'd spend together before everything happened tomorrow. It would've been rude to do so.

I turn to speak to Gray. To ask him if Team B had checked in yet, but the words die on my lips when I see Alpha Demos approaching. He starts to make his way toward me, but he doesn't get the chance to. Not before Gray steps in front of me. His face is blank, but I knew Alpha Demos was smart enough to get the implication. He wasn't wanted here.

"Hello, Alpha," Alpha Demos greets with false kindness. "You and I haven't really gotten the chance to meet. I did know your father though, he was a wonderful man. I bet you are too."

His words are laced with an underlying message, but Gray doesn't react. It didn't surprise me that Alpha Demos knew about our father. It only made shit that two pieces of shit would know each other.

There was a special place in hell for shitty parents and seeing just how Alpha Demos treated Nara, I didn't doubt that he'd be seeing my father again very soon once he finally kicked the curb and died.

"It's nice to meet you too, Alpha Demos. I've recently had the pleasure of meeting your daughter. I must say that it surprised me to find out that you were her father. You too are just so different."

Nara and Alpha Demos shared similar features, so it wasn't hard to put two and two together. Gray, however, was using the same trick Alpha Demos did. Personality-wise, Alpha Demos and Nara couldn't be more different.

Alpha Demos simply smiled wider. "Yes, she takes after her mother," Nara didn't speak about her mom much. In fact, I don't think I ever heard her talk about her mom before. "If you'll excuse me, I have work to do, but I wanted to take the time to come and greet you," he looks at me. "I hope everything is working out between you and Raiden and I hope this trial goes well."

With that, Alpha Demos turns to leave. Gray's jaw is clenched and once Alpha Demos is out of sight, he scowls.

"What?" I ask him.

Gray shakes his head. "His mate—Nara's mother—is dead. She has been for years."

The words cause me to freeze. She takes after her mother. Was he...? Would he..? I shake my head. We'd get him before he could think about doing anything else to harm another person. Tomorrow would be the trial and this would be the end of Alpha Demos. I was determined by it.

 I was determined by it