BASTARD: chapter twelve

raiden

raiden

Growing up in a small pack, everyone knew each other. We didn't get many new faces around the lands so it didn't surprise me when people eyed Cloud. Not in a negative way, but with looks of curiosity -- they wanted to know who the new wolf in the pack was. He probably smelled human to most of them, which only confused them more. Despite my constant reassurances, the unwanted attention seemed to get to Cloud. We were currently sitting in one of the pack-owned restaurants waiting for our food and I could just tell by the scowl on his face that he wasn't happy.

"You can't glare at everyone who looks at you, you know," I tell Cloud as I watch his eyes zoom in on a woman who had been looking at him.

"Shut up," he snaps before shifting uncomfortably in his seat.

Maybe taking him out wasn't the best idea. Maybe I was moving too fast for him. The longer we stayed out, the more I began to notice just how uncomfortable he was. It made me wonder just where had he come from before. I figured his closed-off nature was just because he was in a strange place, but maybe that was only part of it; maybe there was another reason he kept his walls so high.

"You know, we still don't know much about each other," I say. "Why don't we play a game of twenty questions?"

"Why would I want to do that?" Cloud asks with a raised eyebrow. "I don't want to know more about you."

"You can't seriously say that there isn't anything you're curious about?" I challenge before mimicking his raised brow.

The two of us sit in silence for a few minutes before he sighs and turns towards the window on his left side.

"How old are you?" He finally asks.

The question was a simple one, but it didn't fail to make me smile.

"I'm twenty-four, how about you?"

"Twenty-two," he says before sighing and shaking his head. "This is stupid."

"Come on, I do want to learn more about you," I say playfully. "Were you in a pack before coming here?"

Though I meant it as an innocent question, Cloud clearly didn't take it that way. A frown forms on his face, his brows furrow, and his eyes sharpen into a glare.

"Why the hell are you so nosy?" He snaps.

My eyebrows raise at the sudden outburst. "Cloud—"
"Forget it," he mutters. "I don't want to talk about this anymore."

I don't get the chance to say anything else before one of the waiters brings our food over. Their eyes linger on Cloud for a moment before setting the plates down, flashing us one last smile, and leaving.

Cloud says nothing as he begins to eat, allowing the silence to consume us. With the restaurant being mostly empty, breakfast is much quieter than I intended.