Chapter 2- New Job?

When my mom said early, she was not exaggerating by any means.

"Just go without me." I whine.

"So this is what your room looks like." My mom comments, completely ignoring my protests of more sleep.

"Yes now can you please leave so I can sleep?" I beg, sinking my head into my pillow.

"No. You have not seen your cousins in a year, I think sleep can wait," My mom begins, "Now get up because we are leaving in 20 minutes." Instead of protesting some more, I accept my fate. I get up out of bed and look through my newly organized drawers for something to wear. I end up deciding on some comfortable shorts and a white top:

 I end up deciding on some comfortable shorts and a white top:

"You ready to go?" My mom asks.

"Yeah." I reply, yawning.

"Let's walk there since it's just down the street."

I am happy I decided on wearing shorts, because it is so hot outside. I mean, I expected it since it's summer.

"I think this is it." I say, looking up at a beautiful modern white house.

"It must be." My mom replies. We wait outside the front door, ringing the doorbell.

"Marie!" My aunt shouts the second she opens the door. She then pulls my mom into a tight hug.

"Lana look how grown up you've gotten and it's only been a year since I saw you last!" My aunt says.

"Hi Aunt Susan." I say.

"How are you guys? How was the drive?" She asks, once we step into the kitchen.

"It was alright for a seven hour drive." My mom replies.

"How was Maui?" I ask.

"It was beautiful."

"LANA." I hear a familiar voice shout. I turn around to see it's my cousin Vicki. She looks so pretty with her blonde hair that grew way more from the last time I saw her.

"VICKI." I exclaim. She then pulls me into a tight hug.

"I've missed you so much." She says.

"Me too."

"Hi." I hear another voice. I look up to see my other cousin, Michael, standing right there.

"Hey Michael." I say with a smile.

"I am so happy you guys are going to be living so close to us!!" My aunt Susan says.

"I know."

"Lana, are you excited for Ridgewood in the fall?"

"Yes." I reply, trying my best to sound excited.

"I am so excited for you to meet all my friends. They're going to love you." Vicki says.

"Are you doing anything this summer? Any special plans?" My aunt asks me.

"Not really, no."

"Maybe you could get a job Lana. That would be the perfect opportunity to meet some new people as well." My mom suggests. I hadn't thought about working this summer but I am not totally against it. I have no plans so it would be something to do.

"I could get her a job at the country club," My aunt says, "I am friends with a lot of the people who work there."

"That sounds like a great idea!" My mom responds. Summer job it is...

Aunt Susan was not joking when she said she could get me a job. I start tomorrow and I am going to be a snack bar worker. I am currently working on a new painting, when I get a facetime call from Drew.

"Hey babe." He says.

"Hey. Guess what I am going to be doing the rest of the summer."

"Painting?"

"Well yes that too, but I am working at a country club." He looks at me with questioning eyes.

"A country club?" He asks, laughing.

"Look I know this isn't the most ideal job, but it's something to do."

"Serving all those rich stuck up snobs doesn't sound too fun." Wow okay.

"How supportive." I reply sarcastically.

"Sorry Lana. I'm sure it will be fun." I don't reply, unsure of what to even say.

"You painting something?" He asks.

"Yes I am."

"Can I see?"

"You know the rules, Drew. No seeing my work until it's complete. I'm not even sure I am going to finish it, I am starting to hate it."

"C'mon it can't be that bad?"

"I'm still not showing you." I say with a laugh.

"Ugh fine."

An hour later...

I hear a knock coming from my door.

"Come in." I say, expecting it to be my mom.

"Oh my God, I fucking love your room." Vicki says, looking around.

"Aww thanks Vicki."

"Seriously can you remodel my room?"

"Depends on how much you pay me." I joke.

"You won't have to worry about that, you'll be making good money at the country club."

"True." After examining my room, she sits down on my bean bag.

"Are you excited about working there?" She asks me.

"I guess. I just don't really know what to expect."

"Don't worry, the people there aren't that bad."

"You guys go to that club right?" I ask.

"Yeah, mainly Michael though. He goes to play golf with his friends." Vicki responds, as she begins walking around my room.

"You still like painting?" Vicki says once she spots the painting on my wall.

"Yeah I love it." I reply, trying to shield the painting that I am currently working on. However, I am too slow and she begins looking over my shoulder at my current painting.

"I know it doesn't look that good right now, but I haven't finished." I say.

"Holy shit, Lana, I didn't know you were this good. Seriously all these paintings are amazing."

"Aww thanks Vicki."

"There are some cute guys from Ridgewood that go to the country club by the way." Vicki says.

"Cool. I have a boyfriend so.."

"Just to look at." Vicki says which causes me to laugh.