Chapter 12- Family Friends?

I turn the door handle, my nerves intensifying. I don't know why, my dad's car isn't in the driveway anymore. The first thing I see is my mom sitting on the couch watching TV. Once she hears the door, she turns to face me.

"Hi sweetie, how was the beach?" She asks in her usual upbeat tone. I am a bit taken aback due to her showing no sign of hurt. She really isn't planning on telling me about my dad stopping by..

"It was good. I'm going to go up to bed now." I inform her as I run up the stairs. I felt somewhat angry that she was just acting as though nothing happened. As though my dad who I haven't seen in forever, didn't stop by.

I put my head on my pillow and quickly drift off to sleep. I couldn't stop thinking about my almost kiss with Tyler today. I hope I didn't totally ruin whatever friendship we had.

————-

"Rough night?" Chris asks, filling up a fountain drink that was recently ordered.

"What?"

"You just seem zoned out and tired." He states. I guess he was right. All I can think about is Tyler. I need to talk to him.

"Maybe just a bit." I say.

"Drink some coffee." He suggests.

"Eww I hate coffee." I say as I make a fake gagging noise.

"You're crazy.." I don't even pay attention to what Chris says in return because all I'm doing is looking out the window, hoping to see Tyler. And sure enough, there he is. He's talking with that Trina girl again. They look like they're ready to do more than talk. I felt some unknown feeling in my chest. A negative feeling but I couldn't locate what it was. It annoyed me how he was being all flirty with her. But why.... Why do I care what he does or who he does it with?

I finally decide that I can't stand it any longer, so I begin walking up to Tyler.

"Hello?" He asks, confused.

"What does this bitch want?" Tina asks, giving me a glare. I don't even care at this point, I just need to talk to him.

"Tina." Tyler says, looking at her.

"Can I talk to you Tyler." I say, only looking at him.

"Uh sure." He responds. We walk to the area behind the pool where there isn't any people around.

"Look I'm sorry about yesterday." I begin, finally getting it off my chest. Tyler definitely doesn't respond the way I expected or well wanted him to..

"Yeah me too. Let's just forget it happened, it meant nothing." Tyler suggests. My heart sank at his words. Why? Why am I so upset by this? He definitely caught me off guard.

"Yeah-uh totally." I reply awkwardly, trying to force out a smile.

"Okay well I'll see you." Tyler says before walking away. I wait a while before walking back to the register.

After work, I drive home right away. I haven't been in the best mood since my chat with Tyler. I wish I knew why.

"Hey mom." I say, entering my front door. She is wiping down the kitchen counter.

"Why are you cleaning all of a sudden?" I ask, confused.

"Because I met a really kind lady today." She tells me.

"How does this have anything to do with you cleaning?"

"Well she has a son your age and he goes to Ridgewood as well. They live in our neighborhood too so I met her when I was walking around. Her son and her are going to be coming over for dinner tonight." She states. Great, now I have to socialize.