[ 13. it's always been WICKED ]

| y/n's pov |

THOMAS DROPPED ONTO the floor from the vent first, followed by Aris and I. Thomas checked both sides of the hallway to see if anyone was coming while Aris closed the vent opening behind us.

Thomas swiped the card and the keypad glowed green, allowing the doors to slide open. The three of us walked in slowly, taking everything in. The lab coats and plastic sheets hanging on the walls, another door across from the first, a glass window... a glass window that showed another room.

This other room had several large glass tubes filled with blue liquid that had what looked like embryos of some kind of monster in them.

Grievers. My mind told me. They're growing Grievers in here.

We walked through the second pair of doors that lead to a very wide room.

"What the..." I followed Thomas' gaze and my mouth fell open.

Teenagers were hanged by some kind of machine. They all had tubes in their heads, mouths and almost all of their torsos, and it looked like they were having something extracted from them. It wasn't just a few kids either. The two rows of them went from our side of the room all the way to the other.

I saw a girl with dark hair and I was immediately sent into a panic.

"Teresa?" I hurried over, but the girl's hair covered her face. As I pushed it back, Thomas and Aris came to my side. Upon seeing that the girl wasn't Teresa, I let out a small sigh of relief.

"It's Rachel." Aris said sadly. "They took her the first night. I told her it was going to be okay."

A noise behind us made all three of us turn our heads. The outer door was opened. Someone was coming. Just as the closer door opened we hurried behind a pillar.

"Oh, crap." Aris cursed. Thomas stayed behind the pillar while Aris and I hid further in the room behind some kind of machine.

"You sure this can't wait?" Mr. Janson asked the man beside him as they walked down the middle of the room.

"She was very specific, sir." The man replied. "She wanted to speak with you personally."

"As if I don't have enough to deal with." Janson scoffed.

"Just, uh, bear with me. I'm getting some interference from the storm." The man was setting up some kind of screen.

"Come on. It's good enough. Make the connection."

The screen beeped and who appeared but Dr. Ava Paige, the woman we saw shoot herself.

"Good evening, Dr. Paige." Janson put on a smile and my eyes widened. "Lovely to see you again. Although I admit I wasn't expecting to hear from you quite so soon."

"Change of plans, Janson." Dr. Paige spoke and it sent a shiver down my spine. It was so unsettling to see her alive and talking, not dead on the floor of the WICKED building at our Maze. "I'll be arriving a little sooner than expected. First thing tomorrow."

"Oh, well, we'll be delighted to have you." Mr. Janson walked closer to the screen where Dr. Paige was now standing. "I think you'll be pleased with the progress we've made."