Trick

You gasp as he falls, John lowering him to the ground while your hands shake so hard the weapon nearly drops, panic threatens to engulf you as you spin and yank at the door- locked. Locked?! You yank again but it doesn't budge. You turn fearfully to greet a scene of blood and pain and are instead met with Sherlock rubbing his leg angrily and John pulling him to his feet.

"Oh you're such a baby" John mutters while you stare.

"You said it wouldn't hurt!" Complains Sherlock while you watch in confusion.

"Yes well knowing how much of a drama Queen you are-"

"I am not a drama-"

"Get a grip we haven't got time for this-"

They continue to bicker as you watch, mouth agape and tongue dry. When they don't stop for a full minute, you interrupt.

"Um... hello?!" You shout and they shut up finally.

"Hi" says Sherlock and you glare.

"I shot you"

"Yes I noticed"

"You aren't bleeding"

"Doctor Watson you might be out of a job...."

"Shut up! Why aren't you bleeding?" You demand and he finally meets your eye. "BB pellets don't usually break the surface" he says quietly and now you understand.

"You knew I'd take the gun?" You say in wonder and he shrugs.

"Yes and I rather hoped you wouldn't shoot me but here we are"

You are in shock. No- horror. No... amazement. You shake your head slowly to clear the distorted image before your eyes and then it hits you.

You just tried to shoot a person.

You gasp and fling the weapon to the other side of the room, falling into a door which you slide your back down into a sitting position. This is where you weep, head buried in your arms as shame washes over you like a tsunami. There is quiet and then steps towards you, making you flick your head up in alarm.

"No don't! Don't come near me please" You beg and they exchange glances then stop as you try to control the hyperventilating.

"(Y/n)" says John quietly and you snuffle in response. "Breathe now" he instructs and you take a deep breathe. It was over. Your world was over- what do you do? Your brother was coming for you, Rosie was missing because of you, and you had just tried to shoot one of the few friends you had in this world. The dizziness creeps in through your ears as dribble runs down your mouth and you cry harder, rocking yourself and letting all the pain and anguish consume you.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry" you repeat, voice broken and small. God you disgusted even yourself. What a pathetic creature to destroy the world around her then complain over the mess?

Only you aren't alone, for a hand reaches out and places itself on your own, and with shame riddled behind your eyes, you meet a pair mere inches from your own.

"I'm so sorry John. I lost Rosie. It's all my fault. And Sherlock... I'm sorry. I shot you. I actually shot you" you whisper and the hand remains on your own. You expect accusations, rage, tears, anything, but the men are silent. Too silent. You look up again and Sherlock is whispering lowly to John who looks a little sad. A little. Perhaps not even that. Your sniffles deplete to near silence as they notice you looking.

"You're not the one who should say sorry (Y/n)" sighs John as a knock sounds at the door. You freeze and he offers you a comforting smile before Sherlock opens the door to little Mrs Hudson, smiling genially and rocking a baby in her arms.

"R-Rosie?!" You gasp and Mrs Hudson does a double take.

"(Y/n) dear? What did those horrible boys do to you?" She fusses, helping you to your feet and brushing you off. "Honestly the disrespect they have for the women in their lives-"

"Thank you Mrs Hudson" says Sherlock clearly and she rolls her eyes, handing him the little girl and exiting with mutters of disapproval. He inspects her then hands her over to John who cradles her softly and gives you an apologetic look. Your mouth is still open as your legs give out but Sherlock is there, holding you upright and placing you gently in his own armchair.

"What-" is all you can get out as you swallow drily. "What?!" You repeat louder and Sherlock takes the seat opposite. John paces gently, bobbing Rosie around as she chuckles and snuggles alternately. He catches your eyes again and you are beyond confused. He smiles and opens his mouth.

"I'm sorry (Y/n), but in my defence it was his idea." He says, indicating Sherlock who is the picture of calm.

You wait for him to explain and he grins triumphantly.

"Believe it or not, I am also sorry. Sorry for scaring you like that but I believe it was necessary" he starts.

"Rosie is- she's safe? She wasn't taken?"

"Safe? Yes. Taken? On a walk by Mrs Hudson." He explains carefully.

"But the writing... the writing on her wall..."

"Well yes, I anticipated you might have a strong reaction to those words. Anticipation isn't fact though is it? I needed to see, to check"

You can't quiet believe it, but you are beginning to put together the false truth.

"You took my phone" you state. It isn't a question.

"You didn't join us for dinner last night. You never skip Sunday dinner at ours. Mrs Hudson was ever so worried, I kindly told her I would check on you later that evening, which I did. You really shouldn't have your password as a pet name by the way- very guessable"

"Bastard"

"Language"

"And? What did you find?"

"A text message from an unknown number. Come home. Perhaps a prank, but judging from your severe withdrawal, more likely a threat. Who could threaten you that you wouldn't disclose to us for fear of our reaction? Your brother of course. Jim Moriarty"

"So all this, fake stealing Rosie, painting those... words... on the wall, letting me shoot you... was all for what?" You demand and now he smiles. You want to slap the smirk off his face but you need answers, an explanation for your suffering.

"I needed to see how far you would go to keep us away. To keep yourself a secret and protect those around you. Even if it did cost me my kneecap- good shot though"

"Thank you"

You sit in silence for a moment, unsure what to do next. You swallow and Sherlock stands, offering you his hand.

"Now... we can't let you face your brother alone Miss Moriarty, I say we pay him a small visit"

You allow him to pull you to your unsteady feet where he squeezes your hand comfortingly. John joins you, stroking your face with his free hand.

"You were going to incapacitate us, go alone to face your brother and save my daughter"

You look at your feet and he kisses you lightly on the cheek.

"You don't have to do this alone anymore (Y/n)" he whispers and you sigh. You don't know what to say but he has already moved away.

You can't find the words for either of them, but by the time you look up again they are out the door.

And suddenly it is clear why they find this life so addicting.