Reason

Pain sears across your wrist and you thrust your whole body weight upwards in desperate attempts to throw them off.

At some point you pass out from pain and anxiety, only to come round in even more agony.

"John hurry!" Shouts Sherlock as you once again feel the scalpel pierce your tender flesh. John doesn't reply, apparently unable to speak as you catch his pale face in the corner of your eye. You try pleading with their warmth but he blinks and looks away. Alone and terrified, you begin to sob.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I'm so so sorry" mutters John, voice cracking as you shriek against the fabric in your mouth, arching your back and turning yourself inside out like a trapped animal.

Sherlock is silent, eyes following your every movement and hands forming a protective shield around your head as you throw yourself around desperately.

"John-" starts Sherlock warningly

"Nearly done" breathes his friend and you thrash again, sweat building on your spine and neck as Sherlock pulls you into his lap and cushions your head against his chest. He begins to rock you the same way he does Rosie and had he not ordered someone to slice into your arm you might have stopped in fascination.

"Sherlock bandage"

"My shirt?"

"Yes rip a length off the bottom"

There is the ominous sound of ripping and you all breathe heavily, Sherlock still half pinning you down but you have stopped fighting and instead resorted to lying still, tears rolling down your red cheeks as you wish death upon yourself.

"(Y/n)? Talk to us (Y/n)?" Says John and you bite your lip. They both release some of their body weight and you twitch. They roll away and stand but you still don't move. The silence is deafening and fills the room far more effectively than your screams ever did.

"(Y/n) I'm sorry but it was necessary-" starts Sherlock as your eyes fly open.

"Shut. Up" you breathe and he does so, watching you carefully. Pushing yourself to your knees, you stand unsteadily and try to shake away the nausea. Knowing it's a mistake, you look down at your arm. It is scarlet and throbbing, red and raw with the eight letters you hated together- all welded into your flesh.

"Oh" you say simply before your legs give out and you are back on the floor somehow. Your eyes roll and suddenly there are faces above you. You groan and they pull you a sitting position where you tuck your head between your legs and breathe through your mouth.

"I hate you" you say to no one in particular. Honestly anyone could hear it and probably rightfully assume it was directed at them.

"Well-" starts Sherlock but John cuts him off

"And you have every right to. But if it were the choice between watching you live and hate us and die liking us, I believe we chose well"

"Yes. You chose. Not me" You mutter solemnly

"We chose because we love you (Y/n). You've become very important to us in such a short amount of time"

You sigh but don't answer him, instead turning to Sherlock.

"You're wrong"

"Me?" Says Sherlock, remarkably maintaining the capacity to still be offended.

"You said he would never forgive you, but this is the most forgiving man you will ever meet."

"What's going on?"

You and Sherlock share a stubborn look but he breaks away first.

"Yes, he probably would. So maybe I'm not keeping you safe just for him."

Whatever you had been expecting, that wasn't it.

"What?"

Sherlock shifts awkwardly and looks down them up, furrowing his brow at the tiled walls then catching his hands behind his back.

"I like having you around. It's nice having another intelligent mind around"

John scowls but you are magically fighting a smile. He rolls his eyes then smiles too.

"If we weren't about to be butchered for your brother's entertainment I'd say how much I enjoy our little life and how much I'm looking forward to spending more time with you (Y/n)"

"Well now you're both being nice to me... we're definitely going to die aren't we?" You say, biting your lip to hide the stupid grin arriving.

"Oh most definitely" says Sherlock matter of a factly while John shrugs.

"Shame really" he adds and you both snicker slightly.