Begin

"(Y/n)? (Y/n) love wake up"

You groan and roll over, facing the outlines of two blurry men. Their faces come into focus and you register their concern. Feeling sick, you sit up and sway but someone takes your shoulder as you rub your head.

"Where's Jim?" You say numbly and they exchange glances. You look around the simple room and feel your heart sink.

"I think he's a little upset with us" says Sherlock in amusement and you scowl, allowing John to pull you to your feet.

"You were the last to come round- are you ok?" Says John and you pause. There was something in his voice that hurt strangely, not sadness but... disappointment. You hang your head and walk a little away.

"Listen, I'm sorry you both had to see that but I told you, I really did. At least, I tried to. Jim always wins, and the sooner you accept defeat the better"

"Very good little sister!" Comes a voice crackling through the room. You all three whip round to view the screen with your brother's face, back in his comfortable office. "She's got a point" he says in agreement and Sherlock scowls. "The sooner you accept defeat the sooner we can all move on with our happy lives" he say giddily.

"That's it? We tell you you're the greatest and we can all walk free? You're losing your touch Moriarty" says Sherlock and you rush over to him, shoving him in the chest and hissing desperately.

"Sherlock shut up! Just do as he says"

This statement is accompanied by slow clapping from the screen but you don't look round. Instead you let go of Sherlock and drop your head, ready as always.

"I have designed a few little... tasks for you. Each one specially designed to extract the defeat from your stubborn brains- you being you two boys, my lovely sister has already played" you barely have time to register relief that he was letting you go before he continues talking "then again, I need to ensure she won't ever do anything as stupid and reckless as running away from the safety of her big brother again- so she'll play too" he finishes and you bite your lip anxiously. "The games will ensue shortly"

The connection cuts and you are left with your two friends. You don't allow yourself the privilege of tears, instead you get right to the point, and fast.

"He wants to break you, wants to see you suffer and bend. He'll get what he's looking for, but I suggest you do it sooner rather than later" You say quickly

"I-" starts Sherlock but you cut him off shrilly

"I don't care what you want! I don't care what stupid plan you have to avenge yourselves, what genius idea you have to stop this- it won't work! You play or you die, please... play"

John steadies you as you begin to hyperventilate, breathing shallowly and on the edge of a breakdown. He guides you to the floor where you wrap your arms around your legs and shake him off, shrieking when he tries to catch you again. You begin to mutter desperately, but you sense no one is listening.

"I give up, you win... I give up, you win..... I give up, you win" you repeat hushedly until a warm hand wraps around your upper arm. You go to shake away but he holds fast, forcing you to look up into Sherlock's piercing blue eyes.

"(Y/n) calm yourself" he says and his lack of sympathy shocks you into silence. You hiccup and he drags you roughly to your feet. "This is not a shock, this was entirely expected. Now play"

You have stopped hyperventilating but he isn't smiling or encouraging you. This is an order.

"Ok" you say blankly, taking deep breaths while your hands shake. He sees this and his eyes soften around the edges. You remember what he said last night, about doing this for John. He wouldn't let John see you suffer, and for that he needed to keep you alive. It was a weak attempt at hope but honestly, it was all you had.

And so you blink and nod, all three of you turning to the screen, ready. Jim appears and you fight the urge to take a step back, but Sherlock has a strong hold of you. You pretend it isn't necessary, that without him you would naturally stand your ground but this is as much a lie as the love you hold for your brother.

You've picked your side, even it is will cost you your life. You've only started to really live in the past few months anyway, and you've loved every second of it.

"Ready to begin?" He asks politely, snapping back your attention which you willingly hand over to him.

"Yes" says Sherlock in the same measured voice while you and John exchange looks.

"Well then, let's start with... you, Doctor Watson"

John jumps slightly and Sherlock squeezes your hand.

"Congratulations by the way, on the little girl. A precious thing she is, and so beautiful- she takes after her mother of course, which I'll admit is lucky..."

If your mouth is dry then you can't begin to comprehend what John must be feeling. He steps forward and swallows, followed by the scrutinising eyes of Sherlock.

"If you've hurt her..."

"Me? God no I'm not an animal" he sounds genuinely offended. "Not me... her"

He's looking right at you.

"Me?" You say blankly "I would never... never hurt her John! You know I wouldn't-"

The room is suddenly filled with the sound of Rosie's fretful screams and you clamp your hands over your own ears, but you can't remove your eyes from the screen.

There Rosie lies in her bedroom back in 221B Baker Street, screaming while you try to hush her.

You watch as your faux self gets agitated, picking her up and jogging her softly but still she screams. Eventually the noise seems to come too much and you- the fake you- is pressing on her mouth to shut her up. Pressing and pressing and she is getting quieter and quieter.... Until she is still. You watch yourself panic and listen at her chest, gently blowing on her face before she opens her eyes and wails quietly, whimpering in fear and pain.

Whatever John wants to do to this monster you will let him- except this never happened.

"I'll leave you to discuss" says Jim solemnly, wiping a fake tear from his eye when the screen changes. "After all, I'm sure she didn't mean it"