26

Sarina, Grand Master of the Temple of the Kunlun Pass, was not going to betray me and throw my corpse out into the wintry mountains to freeze.

Yet.

I brooded in my room for the fifteen minutes I'd allotted myself before I had to take action. If I didn't limit the time I spent being paranoid and planning fifteen different escape strategies, I'd trap myself in a panicking spiral forever and accomplish nothing. And then I'd really die. Probably.

So in that time, I came to three main conclusions:

One. I had to find the so-called 'Shard' that Lust had mentioned. I had no idea what it looked like or even how to acquire it if it wasn't a physical object, so before I started looking, I needed to squeeze him for information.

Two. I had to assert more dominance over the contract. So far, I'd figured out that if I put enough of my resolve into 'orders', I could make him obey. Nothing complex, but the strange power that thrummed through my body and made the mark on my wrist tingle was steady enough for simple commands. It clearly didn't need actual magic prowess to activate, so that was a relief, but I needed to practice it for it to become more reliable. As it was, I had a sinking suspicion that the more I used the strange 'command' ability, it would cost me in other ways.

Three. Sarina still didn't trust me no matter how kindly she behaved. If she really trusted me, then she wouldn't have stuffed us into a deserted inner sanctuary. I peeked out the sliding paper screen doors and crept around, but there were no signs of life in the dim corridor. I even peered in between other rooms' doors to see if anyone was sleeping, but every single one other than mine was vacant. Sarina was isolating me deliberately.

The overall conclusion?

I needed to find the Shard and get the hell out, all while somehow keeping a Prince of demons under control.

Speaking of which.

"Don't just walk in on me," I snapped. "We're not going to sleep in the same bed either, before you ask. The bedding on that side is yours."

Lust's wide smile as he stood in the doorway sent goosebumps rushing down my arms. He said nothing at all as he leered at me, taking up the threshold with his lean but powerful frame and both hands grasping either door. The way he stood there made me feel caged, a little bird trapped for his delight. At least his black and red robe had returned, but the sash remained undone and the edges left tauntingly spread, doing nothing to conceal his long, thick length.

He was still half-erect... and rising.

"I already did my part," I reminded him. "That's your responsibility now."

He cocked his head, the movement slow and hair-raisingly provocative. "I'm pleased it was the first thing you noticed, Sable... You're quite aware of me, aren't you?"

"You came in like that because you wanted to be seen."

"Yes. I wanted to see what my little queen would do." His hands slid down the sides of the parted doors, fingertips lingering, and he stepped forward with a slow stride. "You're holding out admirably... But I know the scent of you, my Sable, and it's changing little by little. Only a matter of time now. If only you would make this easier for yourself..."

"Quit it before I kick you out. Do you want to find your Shard or not?"

His fingertips curled around the edge of the doors, and with a deliberate movement, he closed them behind himself. All of a sudden, his presence swelled, filling the room even more. My toes curled under the blanket where I'd burrowed my chilled feet, and the flame of the lantern set by the wall flickered in response to the hot, sultry energy that flooded the air.