Prologue: Pregnant

Just a quick note before I start: the chapters will be in Erebus' pov unless otherwise stated.

TW: I don't know if this counts as Abuse, but the main character gets something small thrown at him and abuse is mentioned

What started out as a beautiful relationship, quickly turned into a nightmare. Maura and I have been married for 2 years, and have been together since we were 17 and 18. She was an angel the first few years, and now it's like a switch flipped and she's not the person I fell in love with.

Her constant mood shifts are irritating. I'm constantly walking on eggshells around her so she doesn't harm me in anyway. I've been told time and time again to leave, but it's not as simple as just leaving.

This women scares me. And nothing scares me. I'm a mafia boss dammit! Yet this women has a way of making me shiver everytime I hear her voice.

To people outside of the immediate family, we look like the perfect couple, but behind closed doors, we are anything but. I have never once put my hands on Maura. Not even out of self defense. I don't believe in purposely harming your spouse. Maura may, but I don't.

I honestly don't have a reason to stay. My love for her died the minute she started getting aggressive. It's just taking longer than I had hoped to finally get out.

You see, her father is also a mafia boss. So she's not completely unaware of what my family does. She was born into it just like the rest of us. She was raised to think that everyone is under her. Honestly, I wish I would've seen the signs earlier. It would have saved me the pain and heartbreak.

Suddenly I'm broken out of my thoughts when I hear clacking of heels coming my way. I instantly get goosebumps, and a shiver runs down my spine. Let's just hope it's one of her good days.

Maura comes strutting in my home office. Without knocking might I add. I hate when people don't knock, but I wouldn't dare say that to her face.

"Baby" she says in a fake sweet tone.

I can already tell this is not going to end well for me.

"Yes hun?" I ask. I just need to get this done and over with so she'll leave me alone.

"I have something important to tell you" she says. I get hopeful that she's going to demand a divorce, but I must not get my hopes up yet.

"Okay. What is it?" I asked in an emotionless voice. I've learned it's better to remain emotionless when talking to this she devil.

"I'm pregnant" she says.

My mouth drops open. Before I can process the news she just told me, she speaks again.

"This is great for us. Maybe it'll help our marriage."

Suddenly, realization hits me. She did this on purpose. She's trying to trap me. Marriage is easily breakable. With the snap of my fingers I could have divorce papers in my hands. But she already knew that. And she somehow already knew that I was so close to snapping my fingers and asking her to sign them.

"Here. I know you're going to want proof" she says as she throws something at me. It hits me in my face. Great.

I look at what she threw at me. A pregnancy test. It has a very pink plus sign on it.

"I- how far along are you?" I ask. I have to know.

"I'm unsure. I'd say about maybe 5 weeks. We can't know for sure until we go to the doctor." She said.

"When's the appointment?" I ask. I don't want to miss my first doctors appointment for my unborn child.

Truth is, I'm extremely happy. It may mean that I have to stay with the monster for longer, but maybe this baby is just what I need to bring a little light in my life. Maybe Maura will change back to how she used to be.

"Next Monday" she says. I internally groan. She knows I have an important meeting that day. And I can tell by her smirk that she set that date on purpose. Guess I'll have to postpone.

"Okay I'll be there." I say.

"Great!" She says.

She turned around and walked out of the room. I sighed a breath of relief.

I am happy that she's pregnant, but I know that just means that she will be in my life longer.