5: Threats

I woke up to my phone ringing. I was still at my desk. I must've dozed off while doing my work.

"Erebus speaking." I said as I answered the call.

"Erebus, why has Maura told me that she got served with divorce papers today?" He said in a surprisingly calm tone.

"Pedro, Maura has never been good to me, and now that the baby has been born, I'd rather not have to deal with Maura's fits." I explained. He didn't like what I had to say.

"Listen here Erebus, if you don't take back the divorce papers, then I will release hell on you and your family. Maura is your wife. She would never do anything to you. Besides, your a mafia boss, so even if she did, it shouldn't affect you as much." He said.

As he was talking, the anger in me was boiling. I knew he would defend Maura, but I never thought that he would go as far as to blame me and pretty much tell me that the abuse I suffered for years was no big deal.

I couldn't even talk to him. I was so angry. So, I just hung up. I got up out of my seat and walked out of my office. I headed for Skyla's room.

When I got there, she was still sleeping. Just the sight of her cute baby face made my anger subside.

I went over to her crib and gently began to wake her up. When she opened her eyes and saw me, she smiled.

How did I get so lucky to get such an easy baby? Everyone had warned me when Maura was pregnant that babies are hard work, and while it isn't easy, she is a lot more calm then what I've had people tell me.

I picked Sky up and walked out of the nursery and made my way to the kitchen. When I got there, I made Skyla a bottle and then made my way back to my office.

I sat down on my office chair with sky in my arms and started to feed her the bottle. As I was feeding her, I decided to call my father.

He picked up on the third ring.

"Hello son. What do you need?" He asked.

"Dad, Pedro called. Maura told him about the divorce papers. He basically threatened me and my family. He also blamed me for the way that Maura acted." I told him.

What?! That piece of- don't worry Erebus, your brothers and I will make sure that nothing happens." He said.

"That's not my issue. I have confidence that if he tries something, we will be prepared enough. My concern is Sky. I'm surprised Pedro hasn't tried to take her away from me yet." I stated with concern.

"Hmm... you're right. We'll just have to be extra cautious and up our security from now on," he said.

I agreed with him. It wasn't fair to Sky, an innocent baby, to go through anything like this. And I vowed to protect her with my life, if it's the last thing I do.

I'm not holding back anymore like I used to with Maura. I actually have something to live for and protect. And I'll be dammed if someone tried to take that from me.

After all, I am a mafia boss.

Nobody will dare mess with me now.