25. Plastic Flowers

I glared at my homework Drew brought me, so I could attempt to keep up with my classmates. I pushed away the pile of homework, and glanced down at my phone.

You could text Leo. He's not working today.

I could text Leo, but I've been mildly avoiding him for the past few days.
He's texted me quite a few times over the past week and I've ignored most of them as I haven't felt like talking to him. Hell, I haven't really felt like talking to anyone. And I probably wouldn't even talk to Abby or my family, except I would probably go insane if they weren't constantly here.

I stared at my phone for a few seconds longer before I reached out and grabbed it. I dialed Leo's number as I shuffled over to the bed.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

"Since you're listening to this message that means I'm probably not around. If you'd like to leave me a message, I'll get back to you as soon as possible," came Leo's confident, deep voice. I could tell he was smiling through the whole message simply by the tone of his voice.

I ended the call and stared up at the ceiling for a minute. He was probably pissed at me for not answering any of his texts the last few days, but in my defense, he knows I'm sick and that I haven't felt like talking lately.

To: Leo

Hey, babe. I tried calling you, but you didn't answer so...
I don't know. Call me later maybe?

I sent the message, even though I was nervous that he was avoiding me now, but as soon as I hit send my phone started ringing.

Leo's calling...

I felt my heart rate pick up just from those two words. Not only because I was nervous that he was probably going to bitch me out for ignoring him, but also because it was Leo calling.

"Hey," I said nervously as I answered the call.

"Hey, I saw that you called," was all he responded with.

"Yeah, I was... Uh..." I trailed off, not wanting to tell him that I was calling because I was bored.

"You were?" he pressed teasingly.

I sighed before nervously blurting out, "I'm sorry about ignoring you. I know you're probably pissed at me, but..."

"Sweetheart, I'm not mad at you, I am slightly annoyed that you won't let me visit you, but I know you've been feeling shitty, so I'll let it slide."

I breathed a sigh of relief. "I'm glad you're not mad at me. And trust me you wouldn't be attracted to me if you saw me right now." I wasn't joking either. I haven't showered for a few days, so I looked (and probably smelled) like shit.

"No, I'm not mad. And oh, really?" he said, obviously teasing.

"Oh, really what?" I asked, confused.

He chuckled. "Oh, really, I wouldn't be attracted to you? I don't think that's possible, Eathy."

"Oh, it's possible, believe me," I said attempting a grin.

"Nope. It's not possible. No matter what you say, you are incredibly handsome, sweet, funny..."

"Okay, I got it." I laughed, embarrassed.

"You cut me off," he said seriously.

"So?" I teased, hoping he couldn't tell how embarrassed I was from him complimenting me.

"So? You cut me off before I got to the best compliment." He grinned through every word.

I sighed. "What's that?"