episode 3: club rooms.

the class was emptier than usual now. it's club time, and most students are at their respective clubs doing their assigned activities until dismissal.

most class presidents are part of the student council, whose club room is located next to the staff rooms. they spend their time there and chat about anything that comes to mind while some do their homework and such.

my friends and classmates have of course encouraged me to join the student council if they had any available spots, but i declined that offer, thinking that keeping the whole school in check for the teachers was rather a big responsibility, and i already had my own class to deal with.

during club time, the students who aren't in any clubs or the student council linger around their classrooms, in the cafeteria or out in the yards and the p.e track. i was one of those students who'd sit by the gate with their friends, but today i decided to stay back in class and take some time relaxing while the chatter of my remaining classmates served as background noise.

in my solitude, as many times before, my thoughts wander to that girl in the back. is she in a club? did she think about joining one? what does she do during club time?

i turn my head backwards in her direction from staring at the ceiling, only to find that she's long gone.

does that mean she does something other than doodle in that notebook all day?

i sat up from my desk and collected my loitered notebooks, stuffing them into my backpack before swinging it on my shoulder and leaving the classroom, shyly repeating the farewells my classmates shouted to my back. i'm gonna look for this girl in every club room until i can find her. this is my only chance of seeing her face, or even talking to her, if i will.

i descended the stairs to the ground floor, where most, if not all, club rooms are located. i practically sprinted to the hallway where the clubs are, peeking through every door and scanning the room for the girl based only on what i've seen of her. eventually, the writing club asked me what i needed or who i was looking for.

when i described the quiet girl in my class to my classmate who was in the writing club, she told me that she wasn't a member of their club and informed me that she left the building as soon as the last lesson ended. cleaning time is right after classes and it lasts for an hour before club time starts, so she's left almost two hours ago.

my classmate asked me why i searched for her, but i just shook my head dismissively and decided to look for my friends to distract myself from the weak aching in my heart.

perhaps, i felt disheartened about the fact that i missed my first possible interaction with the nameless girl because i was so excited about it. but i digress.

i soon found my friends at our usual spot by the gate, under the biggest tree in the premises. i called out to them and trotted towards them. like that, i subsequently forgot about that mysterious girl.

later that evening, while i was walking back from school, i decided to grab a few snacks with my remaining lunch money at a mini supermarket in our district. i checked the amount of money i had before stepping into the glass doors, greeting the cashier before moving to the snack aisle.

i stood in front of one of the shelves, stuffing my hands into my pockets. my eyes wandered around the array of several different snack items in search of my favorite ones, and when i'd finally noticed a pack of my favorite gummies, a hand snatched it off the shelf.

i turned to my side and found a shorter girl with dark, thick hair and heavy bangs covering most of her face. there was a small parting between her bangs that allowed her to see, and through these thin strands of hair, i could see her tired, hooded eyes.

her aura is familiar.

she probably felt my eyes on her so she turned and faced me as she walked away with her snack. we had a short staring competition before she gave a weak smile and bowed, thus making her way back.

i puckered my lips and decided to head back home for the day. i was too tired from school and the sun will soon set, so i exited the mini supermarket empty handed.

after i ran into that girl at the store, i definitely linked her with the girl from my class. i didn't know why she felt so familiar, or why she reminded me of her, but i do know the two are alike, in some way.