episode 6: friendly.

thank you for finding my notebook for me yesterday. i couldn't find the courage to thank you face-to-face, so i wrote this note for you. from the title, i hope you understood that it's a private property, and i hope that if you do know its contents, promise me not to reveal anything you've seen.

again, thank you sincerely for finding my notebook. i can't be more grateful to you, mr. class president. thank you.

—the quiet girl.

—————————

i found this note taped to my desk this morning when i came into class. i glanced over at the sender and saw her shyly drop her eyes from mine to her notebook upon meeting my eyes. i smiled and tucked the note into my pocket, then placed my backpack near my desk and walked up her.

she lifted her eyes again upon sensing that i was moving to her, and she quickly shut her notebook and hugged it to her chest, meeting my eyes with curious but wary ones. i smiled warmly at her and asked her name.

she seemed conflicted before she pulled out another smaller notebook from her backpack. i saw the words to help find my voice written on the cover, and the words certainly peaked my interest. i didn't ask her what they meant and saw her flip a page open and write something.

you want to know my name?

i chuckled and nodded at her.

"i do", i told her. "i'm class president after all. and i want to know you as a person, too."

the girl seemed baffled at my words. she must not be used to making friends. one thing i was confused by, is why she writes instead of talks. is she mute?

she pursed her lips for a moment while her eyes flickered around, deep in thought. in the end, she stuffed the notebook into her desk and motioned for me to bend down and give her my ear. i did so.

"suzuki," she whispered secretively. "miyamoto."

her voice was so gentle and soft, but at the same time husky and deep, it just adds more to that dark and delicate aura she has surrounding her. i won't lie, her voice sent butterflies fluttering in my stomach.

i fixed my posture and stood straight, then looked at her with a wondering smile. she smiled back at me, and i could see it was a smile of genuine happiness. her eyes look like they haven't smiled in ages.

"are... are we.. friends now?" she asked me hesitantly. i assume her voice is literally one decibel in measure. it's so low and soft, i had to lean closer to her to hear what she said. she repeated her question, her tone growing lower with each word.

i chuckled and nodded. "yes," i agreed. "why not? you seemed so lonely."

suzuki's eyes darkened a little in reaction to my last sentence, and she fiddled with her fingers and nodded.

"i was really lonely," she told me. by now, i was kneeling on the floor in front of her to hear her better. "i wanted friends so bad, but i didn't know how to make them."

she cleared her throat and looked out the window. i can understand her feelings completely. it was hard being a shy person, but it didn't completely prevent someone from making friends. only, if someone was afraid of judgement, they'd avoid people. i think that was her case, but i'm no psychologist, so i don't know for sure.

"well, if you need anything, don't be afraid to ask me," i told her with a soft smile. she faced me again. "if you're scared of approaching anyone else, that's no worry. you have me now, and that's enough for you, right?"

she nodded eagerly at my words, a happy smile brightening her face. her bangs are so thick over her eyes, i hardly think she can see properly with them. without thinking twice, i reached my hand to move the strands of hair away from her eyes. she flinched at my touch, but i guess i didn't notice that.

"there we go," i mumbled. "now you can see better."

she had her eyes glued to mine, and i also didn't break eye contact with her. i saw that her eyes were tired—that could be the reason behind why they were so hooded—and her soul appeared just as tired as her eyes. they say the eyes are windows to one's soul and mind, and i think her windows were foggy.

she also had dark circles under those dark eyes of hers. is she losing sleep? i didn't ask and awkwardly stood up after a prolonged staring competition.

"so, i'll be right there if you need me," i told her, pointing at my seat in the middle of the room. she glanced at it and nodded. i gave her one last smile before turning away. some of our classmates were there, and they were watching the interaction. i didn't give it much mind.

a tap on my shoulder stopped me in my tracks, and i turned around and found it to be suzuki. she balled her fist and nibbled at her lower lip shyly before asking me.

"i never got your name, what is it?" she whispered. i chuckled at the question. she knows i'm class president, but she doesn't know my name?

that thought finds its way out of my lips. "but then how come you know i'm class president?"

i saw her eyes fly open minutely before she looked at the ground. "well, i always heard the teachers and students call you class president, and i never bothered to know my classmates.."

that sentence left her mouth in a series of stutters. i chuckled again and patted her head gently. she's cute.

she jumped at the sudden touch, but i didn't think much of it.

"i'm riki nishimura."