Ch. 3

The next two days played out the same: Elsie and I swimming in the morning, me getting to read a chapter of my book each day before joining her in the pool instead of being thrown in, lunch out (luckily we stayed away from pizza), video games in the afternoon, dinner, and then a movie. We watched Frozen 2 the second night, and the third night we managed to rope Nolan in to watch Star Wars. Although now we started another medley of 6 movies in 5 days. It wasn't 9 because I did not want to rewatch the prequels.

Wednesday came, and with a start, I woke up to the natural morning call of the bird that lives right outside this window. Or it is loud enough to make me think so. I wish there was a snooze button for that annoyingly loud chirping. It was too much to handle at 7:30 in the morning. But I wasn't going to just haul off and kill the bird, so waking up at 7:30 it is.

I was honestly looking forward to today. I suggested we go to the boardwalk, and both kids immediately agreed. So not only does that mean I don't have to deal with Jace all day, but we get to have a blast.

I wasn't too worried about Jace at this point, though. He hadn't popped up much the last two days, and even when he did, he left me alone, save for a few stolen glances. It was weird, but I wasn't complaining.

I laid in my bed for a bit longer before getting up, just staring at the ceiling. With a sigh, I left the comfort and warmth of the heavy comforter, trudging over to the closet to grab up my clothes for the day. I settled on wearing ripped jean shorts, a cropped fitted tank, and my black high tops. I pulled my hair back into a loose braid, placing a credit card and my ID in the back of my phone case.

I glanced in the mirror, debating on whether or not to put makeup on. With at least half an hour, I decided I would. I put on a bit of eyeliner and mascara, dusting on a bit of blush, and finishing the look with a natural mauve lip gloss. Nothing too much, but just enough to look a bit more put together.

Finally, my alarm went off, signaling that it was 8:30. I headed over to Elsie's room first, slowly opening her door before flipping on the lights. She shifted in her sheets, her sleeping self slowly waking up. I took in the room, not surprised with the baby pink walls, doll sets, stuffed animals, and huge vanity and closet. It fit Elsie perfectly.

"Rise and shine, princess," I chuckled as she sat up in bed. She gave me a tired smile, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

"Go get ready. We're going to the boardwalk today, remember?" Elsie was wide awake after that, nodding and smiling as she hastily made her bed before heading into her closet. I left at that point, knocking on Nolan's door.

I heard a muffled groan, then something light hitting the door. I cracked open the door, spotting the pillow on the floor. I chuckled, opening my mouth to address Nolan, but he threw another pillow, hitting me square in the chest. It was a weak throw, but still. I looked between that pillow and him before speaking up.

"Are you trying to snooze me or something?" I asked, trying not to laugh. When Nolan answered with incomprehensible mumbling, that trying failed quickly.

"And now you're annoying ass laugh has me wide awake. Could you be any louder?" Nolan grumbled, sliding out of his bed, leaving it unmade. I couldn't make out this room as well considering I didn't turn on the lights, only spotting silhouettes of different objects around the room.

"Do you want an answer to that question?" I replied, a small smirk making its way onto my face. He shot me a glare, flipping me off before heading to his own closet.

I walked out of his room, closing the door behind me before heading downstairs. I glanced around the house, trying to determine if Jace was still here, but the only sign of him was a note left on the kitchen counter: