Part 1: Chapter 2

Prince Waleran Lupine

Walking into the dining room where my family sat preparing to eat dinner, all eyes landed on me. I knew they knew about the human in my room. They didn't understand why I took her to my room it was clear by the way my mother studied me, usually I wouldn't look twice at the humans let alone go near them. I really didn't care for them at all. All the more reason to make them suspicious.

I haven't told them she's my mate. I knew as soon as they arrived with her. I was out hunting and a smell crossed my nose that I never smelt before. The smell was unexpected yet delightful to my nose pulling me to her, instantly pissing me off. The moment she looked me in my eyes back in my room I knew it was real. There was an unexplainable pull to her. The smell that attracted me wasn't as prevalent now as before but I could smell it when I was close to her. I knew that could only mean one thing.

I never thought I would find my mate since I was well over 300 years old and it hasn't happened yet. Not once in none of those years did I think it would happen and I've met a lot of different life forms. Elves, witches, dwarfs, other wolves you name it and I've probably ran into them a time or two. Never did I once think my mate would be a weak human. No wolf has ever been mated to a human, let alone an predecessor of the throne. We're usually mated to the strongest of the strong, to create strong heirs. Yet I have a human. What am I going to do with that?

Most humans aren't even able to carry a werechild to full term and those who have never had a live birth. They usually die on the table, the baby included. Each time it would break the heart of whatever wolf created the child. This couldn't go on like this. Wolves were losing out on their real mates being so caught up in a frenzy trying to create a new wolf. At this point I'll try anything but more humans it was clear they were not the answer. We were getting desperate here, with me being the last Were born in the Empire of Lupine, hell in any were kingdom, dukedom, lordship everywhere. Just about anywhere there were werewolves.

None of the shewolves have been able to conceive no matter how young or old they were. We tried everything even modern human medicine, nothing worked. Our eldest of Weres were dying out making our population dwindle as time goes on. Some say it was something my parents did but no one really knew for sure and my parents are very tight lipped whenever I ask. Only saying they will explain it to me when I was old enough.

"Waleran you have some explaining to do" my mother said sitting up, taking a sip of wine straight faced, her blue eyes as cold as ice as she watched me.

"Why is there a human in your living quarters instead of with the other test subjects? Now is not the time to start fancying humans. They are her-" she started but was cut off by my father as he raised his hand halting all of the words that were already formed on her tongue.

"Is there a reason you have that human?" My father asked not moving a muscle as he studied me, as if he was waiting for me to lie. I was getting irritated again, I just took a run to calm myself and here they was reminding me of what pissed me off to begin with.

"Father she-" I started but was interrupted, and I was grateful. I didn't want to tell just yet especially not in front of other listening ears. I still haven't digested the news myself. I knew my father would have the answer to why this was happening to me. I was trying to get myself in check before I have to see her again. I knew a long chat with him will ease me.

"Ahhh if it's not my favorite nephew Waleran you look....bigger" My uncle  Alexander said looking me over as he took a seat, followed by his mate Beatrice. Who bowed in respect to my parents and I.

"So what's the topic for today? Any humans pop out any wolves that are alive yet?" He asked reaching for a bowl of food, dumping a huge portion of it on his plate before moving on to the next dish. Not bothering to pass any to aunt Beatrice. She was duchess for moons sake.