Dreams

She was not human. She was not a beast either. She was..... unearthly. Her body glowed with a bluish light that filled every crevice of the dark cave in which she was floating.Her face looked old, mature, but her completely uncovered body was supple and smooth. Her dark skin and long black hair, tinted blue by the light in the cave, was rich and hinted at the purity of her bloodline. She was chanting loudly in a strange language while her hands undulated about her and she turned around and around, her feet never touching the ground.
Still chanting, she opened her eyes, her eyes which glowed yellow like the brightest sun, and began to look around her. All of a sudden, she stopped chanting and dropped her arms to her sides. Still floating, she turned her head towards the opening of the water-filled cave and whispered, Come home.

--------------

"Nana, wake up, already! You'll be late to school if you go on sleeping!"

"Sorry, mom. I'm awake now," Nana yawned and stretched lazily. He cast his eyes to the left, where his alarm clock lay, and his eyes widened.

"Eleven o'clock?! Oh my God, I'm going to be late for school," he exclaimed as he hurriedly got out of bed and rushed into the adjacent bathroom.

His mother shook her head with a slight smile on her face at her son's antics.

"Everything is already set. I've packed your bags and your food and I've called the driver. I'll be waiting for you in the living room," she said and walked gracefully out of the bedroom.

"Thanks, mom!" Nana called after her, watching her retreating back with a warm look. Nana loved his mom. At five foot six inches, she was of average height, with long, dark, curly hair which she straightened periodically. She always looked her best, which was impressive considering that she was a full-time housewife, and a good one too. She was a very beautiful woman. In fact, she reminded him of that other woman. The one who'd been visiting his dreams lately.

He started brushing his teeth, looking in the mirror while thinking about that woman. For the last few months, she'd been appearing frequently in his dreams, always in that blue, water-filled cave, always naked, always whispering the same goddamn phrase, "Come home," . He'd practically gone crazy trying to figure out the dream.

"Nannie, the driver's here!", his mom called out from the living room. "I'll be right there in a jiffy!", he responded as he put all those thoughts at the back of his mind and concentrated on getting ready.

About a half hour later, he descended down the stairs, nicely dressed in his freshly-pressed school uniform. He hugged his mom and they both went out to the car, where the driver, Ofori, was waiting.

"I'm gonna miss you so much, mom. I'll call you every week with my house master's phone," he said as he hugged his dear mom again.

"Don't worry son. I'll visit you lots, just like I always do when you go off to boarding school", his mother replied. He finally got into the car, to the playful relief of the impatient driver who went through this kind of thing all the time, and they set off to school.

-----------------

"Hey! Nannie!", he heard someone call behind him as he packed the last of his bags into the dorm. He turned to see who it was and, to his joy, his best friend Nsuba's face smiled back.

"Boy! It's been so long," said Nana as he clapped his friend on the back, "I didn't hear from you at all in the last three months".

"Yeah, well, my family went on an impromptu vacation to the Northern Region, and as you know, there's, like, zero reception out there, so I couldn't reach you", responded Nsuba, "Wow! You've grown another few inches! Pretty soon you'll be taller than me!"

"Yhup, that's right, and when I am, everyone's got to respect me and do as I say," joked Nana with an impish grin on his face.

"You wish. Hey, since today's the first day of school, and we're almost seniors now, we're allowed to go out of the school at least until supper time. What say you we go a little exploring, huh?"

"Really? The security men won't stop us?"

"Nope. We're not first years anymore, Nana. We know our way around town, and everyone knows that. Come on, let's go!"

"Alright. Let me just finish putting these away", Nana said, picking up his bag from his bed and stuffing it into his wardrobe. As he did so, a long, brown flute with strange markings fell out of the bag.

"Hey, Nana! Don't forget your flute!" Nsuba quickly dashed for the flute and wiped it clean with his shirt before handing it over to Nana.

"Thanks, buddy", said Nana as he stowed it into his pocket, "I think I'll bring it along instead."

"Okay, now let's go!" exclaimed Nsuba, " I want to show you this great spot I found on the coast...." he continued as the two boys ran out of the dorm and towards the school gate.

Hello! My name is Mr. Debonair and I'm really excited to be sharing this book with you all. Kindly vote, comment and keep enjoying my story. I know that many of the name in the book may be hard to pronounce. That's because they're of African origin. So, at the end of every chapter I'm gonna put the name of every new character with it's pronunciation, together with a picture of how I see them. Hope you enjoy this story!

Nana - (nah-nah).

Nsuba - (in-soo-ba)

Nsuba - (in-soo-ba)

Ofori- (oh-fo-ry)

:-)!!

P.S. None of the pictures or videos I use in this book is my own. I borrow all of them from the internet. But apart from that, everything else (i.e. ideas, plots, names, origins and writing style) is mine, and I strictly forbid it to be used anywhere without my express and prior permission. Thanks!