Eating like Kings

"So what did you make of this morning's lesson?" Nsuba asked Nana as the entire class climbed down the wide winding staircase from the library towards the direction of the dining hall.

"It was kind of interesting," began Nana, "but also kind of, well..."

"Intense? Yeah, I'm familiar with General Epowia. He was my trainer when I first got accepted into the elite royal guard. He can have that effect on people. Don't worry, you'll get used to him," explained Nsuba.

The two friends continued down the stairs in companionable silence. In contrast, the rest of the members of the class walked in front of them, and chatted themselves up like old friends. Some of them kept shooting friendly glances their way, and upon realizing that, Nana started to pay closer attention to their appearances.

Many of them looked about his age, and their skin glowed with a soft blue light just like his. The other beings, however, had dark brown skin which could almost pass for human. Their hair, however, shone stark white, and their eyes glowed as dark as the inside of a shark's throat through the eyes of it's helpless victim.  These people had formed their own clique, and were speaking in hushed tones to each other. However, that was where the individual similarities ended.  Each and every being surrounding them was their own person, and they each looked unique in their dress sense, hairstyle and colour choices. He did notice, however, that their icy counterparts tended to wear bolder and brighter colours, which balanced their features well. At the same time, their gaudy clothing succeeded in making them look completely out of place in the muted designs of the Sea palace.

As they reached the end of the stairs, a palace attendant with human-brown skin and white dreadlocks dressed in a shapeless white garment stood there to meet them. "This way, ladies and gentlemen," he said. "The queen would like to have lunch with you all."

At this, many eyebrows rose, Nana's included. He looked at  Nsuba questioningly, and in reply his best friend only shrugged.

Quietly they made their way through the sparsely populated corridors until they came to an aquamarine-blue door with a bronze bejewelled handle that was elaborately carved to look like a leaping dolphin, and immediately it was opened from the inside. Cautiously, the students ventured in, admiring the exotic fish motif which seemed to be the recurring theme in both the sumptuous paintings hanged on the walls, and the designs on the walls themselves. As they all took their places behind a large table which could easily accomodate twice their number, the door opened again and another dark-skinned servant entered the room. With a bow, he announced, "Her Highness Queen Nsu." Without a word, all of the students rose to their feet as the queen stepped into their presence.

Even Nana, who had been closer to her than most of the others, stared.

His mother looked, no felt, different. Of course, in appearance she looked just as regal as ever. However, the warmth and love that she usually regarded her son with was now replaced with a steely gaze that spoke of power and focus, and that demanded respect. With this expression on her face, she regarded each of the young people at the dining table, starting with Nsuba and going round in the opposite direction so that she looked at her own son last.

As soon as her eyes landed on Nana's, he immediately felt strange. An immense longing to please his queen (and not his mother) stole over him and left him breathless, like the oxygen had been sucked out of the room. Thankfully, her eyes did not linger, and immediately she dropped her gaze, he felt better. A bit disoriented, but better.

"I welcome you all, especially our friends from the neighbouring kingdom. I hope that you will enjoy your studies, as well as everything else that the beautiful kingdom of Epowia had to offer," the queen greeted as she strutted to her seat. As soon as she did, servants started bring in platters piled high with food.

"So," Nsu said, "Is there any problem with any of your facilities so far? I hope that you were treated well."

"Well, first of all," came one of the students, " our dolphin-ride was bumpy. And the drive we came with was so rude and standoffish. And our rooms are so bland! There's barely any colour anywhere! How do you expect us to-" she would have continued if she hadn't met the gaze of the queen at that moment.

"Ekuwa, third child of the King and Queen of the Southern Sea. You remind me of your mother. She was also always this...outspoken," said the queen with a small smile. The girl squeezes her bright red lips into a pout. "Do not worry. I will make sure that all your concerns are duly met. Now, let's eat," she ended. That seemed to end the conversation, and all of the students heartily tucked into their  food.

After dinner, the queen addresses all of her guests.

"Now, I trust that you all know why you are here. Most of you are the offspring of royals, and all of you are expected to play important roles in the two kingdoms you all come from. Due to that, you need training. As a result, you have been chosen to participate in this special set of tutorials for he next four years, in order to equip you to rule kingdoms, or at least various parts of it."

"So basically it's like college, but the royal supernatural kind?" piped up Nana. Immediately everyone's eyes flitted to him.

The queen quirked an eyebrow. "I do not know of what you speak, son. However, I must ask you all to make sure that you conduct yourself with the highest form of integrity and respect towards your mates. That means that I will not have any kind of fighting amongst yourselves. Is that understood?" the queen asked with blue flames in her eyes. All heads nodded meekly.

"You are dismissed," dismissed Nsu with a flick of her wrists. The doors flew noiselessly open and the new students filed out of the door one by one.

As Nana got up to leave, Nsu placed her hand on his shoulder. After the last person had left, and after Nsuba promised to wait for him behind the door, Nsu locked the door once again, and then said, "I am so proud of you, my son. Already you're beginning to look the part of a king. Make sure that you do not disappoint me. Promise me, Nana, that you will make sure that you are the best in that class."

Nana stood and silently watched her, due to two reasons - her sharp change in tone and the emotion behind both those tones.  He nodded, wishing to break eye contact bit not brave enough to do so.

"Do not be afraid of me, son. I am your mother," Nsu responded lightly. And with that, she released her hold on his gaze, and Nana walked out of the room, slightly dazed.

Nsu sat back in her seat at the head of the table and watched his retreating back. Her lips curved into a small, sinister smile.

"Yes. I am your mother, and soon.....you will be my greatest weapon."

Hey guys! We're back from the Christmas break! Happy/Merry Christmas to you depending on which one you say!

Okay so guys, there's a little bad news. I might be taking  a little break off this book. I need some time to process the plot so far and storyboard for the rest of it. I'll inform you if/when I do. Love y'all!