Tour

"What the hell is going on?"

That's one question that can be asked again.

My legs take on a mind of their own as I hobble over to the couch, that one place now becoming my favourite spot in Luca's house as I plop down onto it.

I can barely hear Luca and Leo murmuring amongst each other as they stand by the front door. I tilt my head, trying to hear what is being said but they settle down before I can tune into what they're saying. The front door finally slams shut just as the two men walk into the room.

Leo's grey gaze meets mine and he quickly rushes towards me as fast as he can, limping slightly as he takes a seat next to me. Warm arms wrap around me and I'm pulled into a comforting embrace. I reciprocate the gesture and nuzzle into the man, inhaling his comforting scent that I grew up with.

Luca stands next to the mantle, arms folded and a menacing expression on his face. The man looks increasingly hostile and if it's him that's in deep shit, not me.

After a few moments of me taking in deep breaths to get my brain churning again, I pull away and focus on Leo.

"What do you mean a bounty? Like a literal bounty?"

Of course it's a literal bounty, Rosa. It's not like they're talking about the chocolate.

"Your father held an urgent meeting, something I was barely informed about. Honestly, the only reason I think I was told about the meeting was so that I could go and then stir the pot by coming to you. But I had to let you know, Rosa. Your father knew that too," Leo utters out, eyebrows creasing together and I can tell he's feeling incredibly stressed.

I grab his soft wrinkled hand in mine and give it a soft squeeze, trying to comfort him and myself at the same time.

Leo's life could easily come into the cross hairs.

"I understand. He's trying to play a game. He treats everything like one," I grunt in annoyance.

He doesn't even know how to play chess but acts as if he's some sort of grandmaster.

"The bounty is for you to be captured alive and it's quite a bit of money. I don't think the main point of it is to get you back since he was the one that kicked you out. It's just him trying to make a point to all the other families out there."

"But it still doesn't make much sense," Luca cuts in as he ponders over what's been said, "No one is going to go after the bounty unless they're allies of the Genovesi's family or someone who wants to be allies. No one from a warring family is going to come and take you just to give you to him-,"

The way Luca cuts himself off has unease swirling through me. I sit up straighter as a shiver racks down my spine. Whipping my head around, Leo's troubled gaze is answer enough.

"I'm sorry, stellina. I don't know what to tell you. Nothing is confirmed since your father hasn't said anything but that is the best bet. He's using you as bait for the other rival families to latch onto you."

"For them to do as they please," I mutter before letting out a long groan, pushing my head into my hands.

"We need to get you somewhere safe, Rosa," Leo says gently, trying to rouse me from my buzzing mind.

I shift upwards, putting my elbows on my knees as I figure out the best course of action.

"Where do I go? The only places you know Leo are those linked to the familia. I can't go to any of those. It's too risky. Any member could walk in and run snitching to my father. I'd essentially be walking into my own grave."