chapter 52

They were both shivering. Their teammates had shown no mercy. They seemed to take advantage of the moment to get back at them for all the times their leadership had burned them. All the times they’d had to run extra miles because Louis was a dick at training, or all the extra Pilates exercises Harry had them do when they didn’t follow their knee exercises correctly. In the end, Harry and Louis suffered worse than Stan, who delightedly made sure Harry was thanked for his spectacular “present.” The surprise had backfired, to say the least.
The water had drenched their clothes completely, and they drove back to Louis’ house with seat warmers on the highest setting. Louis’ teeth almost rattled where he sat, and Harry wanted nothing more than remove his slick, wet clothes and jump into Louis’ bed, preferably with a cup of steaming apple and cinnamon tea.

As they reached the driveway, Harry’s phone began vibrating. It had handled the water well, despite sitting in his pocket while he was subjected to what could be considered a type of waterboarding. It was now drying off in the cupholder. On the screen, it said “Mum.”

He turned off the engine after parking and picked it up. Holding it in his hands, he was reminded of her standing in the kitchen. She’d seemed… better. Hesitantly, he accepted the call.

“Hey, Mum.”

By his side, Louis pointed towards the house and began exiting the car. Harry felt his cold clothes hug around his body, and he wished his mother would’ve called later, so he could run inside and jump in bed immediately.

“Hi, love,” she said, and her voice was gentle. “I know you’re sleeping at Louis’ tonight, but I wanted to tell you I’m going to Lucy’s soon. So, in case you’re coming home early tomorrow, I’ll be there. So, you know.”

“Oh, really.” Harry swallowed. In a way, the manner in which she said Louis’ name made him feel better. Her voice wasn’t nervous or hard, but somewhat casual. In another irrational way, he was mad at her for disappearing off to Lucy’s again. He wasn’t even going to be home himself.

“Just one more thing before you go, dear,” she added, and sounded almost tentative.

He frowned, chest feeling inexplicably tighter. “What?”

“About, Louis, dear.”

“What about him?” He couldn’t help the defensive note in his voice. His heart was pounding now.

“Well, about last time in the shop… I really wanted to apologise, but I think it came across a little out of ways. When I saw him in your room the other day, I just felt… terrible. It was very rushed then, though, but I’ve been thinking about it quite a lot. Just… tell Louis I didn’t mean to say all that, and I’m sorry.”

“Mum, what are you on about?” he whispered, feeling uncertain and shaky.

“You know? In the grocery shop. I realised he must have seen your father and me at the frozen yoghurt shop and —”

“Mum.”

She stopped talking instantly, as if she were sitting at the edge of her seat. “Honey.”

“What are you saying? Did you meet Louis in the shop? Or what are you talking about?”

“After your birthday, dear,” she clarified. “We had a chat? He didn’t… tell you?”

“No.”

She spoke with a tremor in her voice. “Love, well. When we’ve been at the fro-yo shop we weren’t really on our best behaviour. And when I met him in the grocery shop, I just wanted to apologise for it. I just said I loved you, and we didn’t really mean for —”