7. Set Fire

435 words
Inspired by the song 'Set Fire To The Rain' by Adele
Listen to the song while reading 😁 I think this could be what villain era Charles would sound like

A relationship can be all you ever wanted in the beginning but slowly as you uncover more about that person, you learn who they really are. You expose more sides to that person than you thought they had. You reveal a different person.
That is what your relationship with Charles was like. In the beginning, he saved you in every way he could. He was the most amazing thing that had ever happened to you. After a few months though, he started playing games with you, lying to you so you didn't trust him anymore. It broke your heart that he could be like that after the months where he had been a dream boyfriend for you. But like they say, the good things have to come to an end. Every silver lining has its cloud. This was a very big cloud. It made you wonder if he ever loved you like he said he did or if it was all just one big game to him. A lie.
After you ended things with him a few days ago, he apologised profusely, promising things you knew he was incapable of doing. You were done with his games. However, this was much easier said than done. After he was gone, you started to miss him, it began to hurt. All the good memories came flooding back every night as you lay alone but you had to remember everything else that wasn't such a dream.
You couldn't take the doubt anymore so you went down to your fireplace in the lounge and lit it. Then you gathered all the printed photos of you and Charles or just Charles that you had take off your wall and replaced with ones of you and your friends. You said a final goodbye to each photo, tracing his face gently in the flickering light of the fire before throwing them in one by one and sitting crossed legged watching them burn. The edges first then the faces were blackened and finally disappeared. A tear rolled down your cheek as you watched them yet you were filled with a sense of satisfaction and closure. You didn't have to spend anymore time wasted on Charles. You never had to see him again. "Je t'aimais, Charles. (I loved you Charles)"