16. Pride In F1

1137 words
A/N: This one mentions the LGBTQIA+ community quite heavily so if you didn't support us, please don't read but definitely do not leave any negative comments. This is a safe space for everyone so if you have any complaints, message me but don't leave them as comments on here because that's not fair. I support all of you whether you are in the community our not so be true to yourselves, I love you! ❤️

Being an F1 driver and an open bisexual shouldn't be a big deal but of course, with the fans and media, it was. When you came out a few years ago, your friends and family were all supportive which meant a lot to you but when you announced it to the world, the fans did not show the same love. Of course, there were many who accepted you and related to you but there were also too many who sent you hate everyday for being yourself.
However, your boyfriend Charles Leclerc made everything worth it. He obviously accepted you even before you knew you liked him and started dating soon after. He, and all of the other F1 drivers, supported and celebrated you, especially in June- pride month. You also pushed for your sport to be more inclusive to everyone at every chance you got. This was such a big deal to you because as a child, you never had a driver who was also in the LGBTQIA+ community. You had always thought that you would never get to F1 if you were open about your sexuality but you were proven wrong when McLaren accepted you into the F1 family. One of your biggest role models in F1 growing up, Sebastian Vettel, had been a great mentor to you throughout your career and always encouraged you to be try to yourself even when it was tough. He helped you to shine a light on LGBTQIA+ in the industry and was even penalised for wearing a pride t-shirt during the national anthem at a race. After, he told you that he'd do it again and again if he had to so people would see but naturally, you wouldn't let him.
This was a special race for you, you were on pole in Qatar. It was your first pole and you really wanted to win the race. It was also more important as Qatar was a highly homophobic country. Charles was in P2 behind you but that didn't make you go easy on him and he didn't go easy on you either. You 2 were very good at leaving your personal and work lives separate and when you were out on the track, you were both in race mode. You gave it your everything, all 57 laps you pushed and pushed. You were defending perfectly and attacking even better when you dropped behind after pit stops. Charles had to unfortunately retire after a crash with Daniel Ricciardo. After checking with your team during the safety car that Charles was okay, you were back in the game- you were leading by 10 seconds with your team mate Lando Norris in P2.
You finished with a McLaren 1-2 and you were obviously ecstatic. Your first win tasted so sweet. When you rounded the last corner onto the start-finish straight, you saw all of your engineers hanging over the pit wall cheering for you. Everyone congratulated you and Lando for amazing teamwork after the race and someone handed you a bisexual flag to wave and hold during the interviews. You ran up to Charles and he hugged you tightly, so proud of you. He spun you round with pride and patted your helmet to congratulate you. Your first interview as a race winner was with Lee McKenzie from Channel 4.
"Y/N Y/L/N! Our new race winner here in Qatar! How does it feel?"
"Oh wow! It's amazing!" You replied, "it still hasn't really sunk in that it's real. Obviously I want to thank my team who have always been behind me and also these amazing fans! There are so many of you! This is a day I will definitely treasure!"
"I can imagine." Lee agreed before saying, "we know you are openly bisexual and are the first in the sport to be as outspoken about it as you are. Does that make this win any more special for you?"
"Yeah definitely, I am so proud of who I am and I want other people of our community to be proud of who they are. I think there should be more light on pride in sports, specifically F1. Everyone thinks it is for straight cis men but it's really not and I think that should be recognised. I'm proud of who I am and and I wouldn't change it for the world." You spoke proudly, holding up your flag as you did so.
"That's amazing, thank you for your time." Lee said and you returned to all your post-race duties.
——————————————————————————————————————————————————
On the podium, you listened to your national anthem playing proudly and when you lifted the trophy, you saw Charles beaming up at you from where your team were standing. He looked so proud and you loved that- he always supported you in everything. You had kept your flag on the podium and after the champagne, you were helped by Lando and Carlos (who was P3) to hold it up. Then they took you by surprise when they lifted you up onto their shoulders.
Later in the evening, when you were catching up with all of the drivers after the media, you felt your phone vibrate in your pocket. You pulled it out and your face immediately dropped. "Baby, what's wrong?" Charles asked, concerned.
"The FIA are taking away my win." You were white as a sheet and tears burned in your eyes as you read the next part. "For waving the flag on the podium."
"No. They are not doing this again!" You heard Seb say as he stood up.
"Listen, ma cherie, we're going to help you okay? We're going to make them let this go. You are allowed to be who you are and be proud of it. This was a big deal fir you today and you will have changed so many people's lives. Don't let anything ruin that." Charles comforted you by wrapping his arm around you and pulling you into his side. You laid your head on his shoulder and he held you.
While Charles was comforting you, the other drivers went to the FIA and somehow got them to drop their accusation. You didn't ask how because it didn't matter- you could celebrate again. And you did. You partied with your team and then when you went home with Charles, you cuddled in bed, him telling you how proud of you he was and how you had done so well in the race. "Ma cherie, je t'aime. You are amazing, I am so lucky to have you." He nuzzled his head into your neck.
"Baby, je t'aime plus. (I love you more) Thank you for today."
You knew in that moment that you were so lucky to have Charles and an amazing support system. You couldn't have done any of this without them.

A/N: This one was a bit different but I thought about this scenario the other day and I had to write it. I myself am bisexual so I sort of related to this (although I am obviously not an F1 driver). I think that females and all my gays out there should be respected and shown more in the F1 industry because there isn't really much light on it, although it is better than it used to be. I was told this week that I couldn't possibly be into F1 because I was a girl (from a guy who isn't even into the sport 🙃) but that's so far from the truth- there are so many females in F1 that you don't even see. Anyways, rant over 😂 hope you enjoyed, make sure to let me know what you think.
Oh! Also, happy birthday to Charles! He's 25 😭 our baby 🥹 love him
Anyways, remember, you are loved and strong and beautiful ❤️
-A