--=Nightmares=--

(Clay)----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clay lay on his Platform, staring up at the stary sky. The sun had set, and the role of giving light had been given to the three moons, which shone brightly. It was beautiful. Clay had only been out of the mountain for a few days, but it still never grew old. However, he wasn't relaxed. His mind continued to replay the horror that had played out that day. Clay knew the world outside of the mountain cave from which he and his friends were raised in was full of death and violence. Especially with the war dragging on, but what he had witnessed in Scarlet's Arena was beyond brutal.  

He had never seen a Dragon die before in such a horrendous way, (apart from Dune), and he never wished to see it again. Peril, a Dragon whom he had met earlier, before the arena battle. That was when he wasn't afraid of her. Well... at least until she murdered another Dragon in cold blood, which was ironic considering she literally had fire in her scales!

A sudden flapping startled him which would probably have made him jump as a reflex, but that would probably have ended with him tumbling off the platform. At least his chains would stop him from going too far. 

He looked up, seeing Peril flying above him, only to nearly get hit in the snout by something smoking, that looked burnt, but also smelled of meat.

Food! He thought, feeling immense relief, as he immediately dug in. 

"Whoa! You're Hungry, aren't you? Don't the guards feed you enough?" She asked. Clay shook his head. He looked over, to see Peril land on his Pillar, but at of opposite end. The stone platform wasn't very big, and the concern in Clay's expression was obvious. 

"It's alright. I'll stay really still. I won't come any closer." Peril said, trying to sound reassuring. 

Clay felt a bit better, knowing that she wasn't planning to cause trouble, but he still felt a bit uneasy. There was a long silence as Clay quickly gulped down his meal, before turning his full attention to Peril. 

"Do you want another one?" She asked.

"Um, no thanks."

"D-Do you want me to go away?"

Clay thought for a second, before replying. 

"No, please stay here and talk to me." He said. The truth was that he missed his friends, and desperately needed someone to talk to. Clay was lonely and decided that maybe he should give Peril a second chance. 

Peril looked suprised at his reply, tilting her head. Even in the moonlight her scales shone dimly, like a small fire. 

"Aren't you afraid of me?" She asked. Clay nodded. "Of course, I am, but I kind of guessed you would show up. Also, not to mention you're still better company than the pigeons. All they ever talk about is who to poop on."

Peril giggled, before it turned into a muffled laughter, as she covered her mouth with her wings.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

Peril looked at Clay but seemed to refuse to make direct eye contact. 

"I-I, um, I... I guess I haven't laughed. You know, properly... for a long time." She said, her wings drooping slightly. Clay felt a pang of sympathy. Before he could say anything, Peril suddenly interrupted. 

"The Sandwing, Horizon, why did he just... give up like that? Her majesty was really angry." 

"Angry? At you? That hardly seems fair!" Clay said. It was his turn to be suprised.