Chapter 5

cw: death, blood, grief, loss

Persevere rose up from his hammock in a panic. He was in a cold sweat but he couldn't remember why. Looking around, Persevere found himself in his room which was rather small but there were many things scattered around.

His bed was a simple hammock hung from the ceiling. Looking out his window, it was still night. There were many huts scattered around up on the trees and some of the other rainwings were dangling on hammocks tied to various branches. Persevere turned his eyes back inside to find a small bed where his friend would be resting. He's not there now. Persevere wondered where they had gone.

Up on his claws, Persevere walked out of the hut to look for him. It was still dark out and not a single rainwing was up at this hour. Their snoring mixed in with the sounds of bugs in the forest made a cacophony of noise that made him wonder how anyone could ever sleep through it.

On the side of the balcony to his hut, there seemed to be rope that led down to the forest floor. Perhaps his friend had crawled down into the forest in the middle of the night. Persevere spread his wings and made a short glide to the forest floor.

Scanning the ground, Persevere tried to find signs of his friend. There were no clear tracks and there wasn't a sound of anything through the bushes. Persevere tried smelling for them, but nothing yet had come.

Then the scent hit him strongly. Blood. Persevere could feel his colors drain as he zoomed to where the scent was found.

Landing on the forest floor, Persevere pushed aside thickets as he came closer.
When he finally pushed through, the sight before him made his heart drop.

Right by a pond, a pool of blood was forming the ground. On top of it was a raggedy scavenger who he had been looking for. Its eyes were drowsy but he could see a weak movement of its head as they tried to turn to Persevere.

The rainwing rushed towards them and carefully picked them up on his claws. The blood was dripping from his palms and Persevere could see a bloody stab wound on their stomach that seemed too small for any dragon to inflict. The scavenger's breath was weak and their eyelids were heavy. The scavenger met eyes with Persevere and raised their tiny paws to touch Persevere.

They made one last eye contact with Persevere until their arms went limp. The last ounce of life left their eyes as they exhaled their last breath. Persevere was left there sitting, holding the lifeless body of his only friend.

***

Persevere jolted awake on his bed, tears streaming down his face and his breathing labored as the memory kept replaying in his head.

The memory of that night started to haunt his dreams ever since he saved that one scavenger a few days ago. Persevere didn't know why, now of all days, were his memories starting to resurface again.

Persevere tried shaking off those thoughts. It was still dark out but it would be futile to try going back to sleep now. So he might as well get started with the day. Maybe that would clear up the nightmare.

He shook off the leaves on his wings and made his way out of his hut. He spread his wings and started gliding down into the forest.

The day was early and the sun hadn't risen yet. The morning light has yet to wash its rays over the dark forest. However the rays of the rising sun could be seen touching the clouds as Persevere gazed over them. Morning dew washed over the jungle plants and splashed Persevere's scales as he brushed past them. The forest is quiet at this time of day with the occasional cricket trying to make itself known.