High

I shift in your arms while you sleep soundly. it's only 2:04 am but it feels like it's morning because I'm wide awake. the moonlight glows on your smooth face and casts shadows of your long black eyelashes on your cheeks. your lips are still but they are lively in my head. I blush as I think of you and I intertwined in each others arms.
I stroke my slender fingers across your sharp jawline. you still lie asleep, so I continue what I'm doing. my fingers curl at the base of your neck and I decide to rest there. your left arm is draped across my waist carelessly and your right arm on my upper thigh. your hands are still warm on me.
I close my eyes and try to dream but my dreams are in the real world so I cannot. my eyes dance inside my eyelids as I think about you and the morning to come. I open my eyes when your breathing pattern changes quicker and I see your dark eyes staring down at me. the moonlight reflects in them, giving them a glossy glow.
"I can't sleep." I whisper to him.
"it's okay, baby girl. I'll protect you okay?" he says as he kisses my forehead, my nose, and then pecks my lips. he rubs my arm in comfort. I smile and fall asleep with the comfort of protection in your arms. you are my high, but you are also my low. -K.R.