Chapter 3 - Escape Attempt

10 November 2022

Marianna's POV

It was nearing 11:00am and the staff were doing room searches so myself, the other patients and some of the nurses and security guards were all waiting in the common area. I assumed the room searches were probably for the staff key card which was unfortunate for them because I still had it hidden away in my pants.

I scanned my surroundings and noticed that a few of the other patients were beginning to get a bit stressed out and agitated after being locked in the common area for so long. Most of the nurses and security guards were focusing on those patients, not me. "It's now or never," I thought to myself, "I need to get the fuck out of this place." I didn't want to be here at all. I hated the fact that I didn't have any power, control or freedom here and I didn't like that Dr Vencifer made me take medication. I also didn't want to be forced to let a complete stanger see all the cuts and scars I'd given myself both recently and in the past.

I calmly approached one of the younger nurses, praying that my plan to escape this facility would work.

"Excuse me, I drank a lot of water during breakfast and I really need to go to the bathroom," I said, smiling softly at the nurse.

"You must be Marianna, it's nice to meet you," she began, "I'm sorry but the corridors aren't open to patients at the moment. You should've gone earlier."

"I would've if I had known they were gonna lock us in here like fucking animals," I retorted, "besides, I'm busting and I'm actually about to pee myself." The young nurse sighed and motioned for me to follow her. She unlocked the common area door, locking it behind us before escorting me through to the corridor to my bedroom. After a short walk, we arrived at my bedroom and the nurse waited outside for me.

"You can do this," I thought to myself, "she's only small, she can't possibly stop you and all the other staff are too busy searching other bedrooms." I sighed softly before exiting my bedroom.

"All good?" the nurse asked. She her hands tucked in the pockets of her uniform, which gave me the perfect chance to get away. I shoved the young nurse as hard as I could, watching as she fell back onto the floor. I didn't waste any time before quickly turning and sprinting towards the first set of doors that was located at the end of the corridor. "STOP HER!" she yelled out to the other staff. Suddenly a loud siren blared though the previously silent hallway.

I could hear a few security guards desperately chasing after me as I finally reached the end of the corridor. I scanned the key card as quickly as I could before flinging the doors open, entering the second corridor. I continued sprinting down the corridor, praying to make it outside before the security guards could reach me.

I could hear the security guards yelling out to me, demanding that I stopped what I was doing and willingly return to the ward.

After finally reaching the second set of doors, I scanned the key card and entered into the main office.

"You shouldn't be in this section of the ward, Marianna," a stern but gentle voice said as Dr Vencifer stepped out, blocking my view of the final door that lead to the outside world. He sighed softly while looking down at me. A disappointed expression swept across his face.

Dr Vencifer's POV

After issuing a request for room searches to be completed, I returned to my office. There was nudging thought at the back of my mind. "Marianna seemed calm at breakfast time... almost too calm..." I thought to myself. I sighed before heading to the main office. As I was walking through the main office, I was met by a very frightened and agitated Marianna.

Marianna froze and looked up at me in fear. I noticed she was clutching the key card that Amy had lost. I sighed and gently shook my head in disappointment.

"You know I can't let you leave, Marianna," I stated firmly, "and you know you shouldn't have that key card." She remained frozen in place, almost as though she was in a trance. I quickly took the opportunity to snatch the key card out of her hand and tucked it into my back pocket, before returning my attention back to Marianna.

I noticed that multiple security guards had made it to the main office and were waiting for Marianna to do something. Dr Vladcoff, the ward doctor, arrived shortly after with one of the nurses, Rebecca.

"Come now Marianna, let's get you back to your bedroom,' I calmly suggested.

I saw something change inside her eyes. "FUCK YOU!" she screamed aggressively, pushing me out of her way with an extreme amount of force. She ran over to the door and began desperately trying to yank it open so she could escape.

"You've left us with no choice, Marianna," I sighed softly, "I was really hoping we wouldn't have to get to this point with you." I gazed gently at her as she continued yanking on the door handles with all her might. I redirected my attention to one of the security guards, Michael, who was standing nearby. I nodded meaningfully at Michael, before stepping aside.

Michael calmly began walking towards Marianna before grabbing her from behind, restraining her arms in the process. He quickly but gently pulled her away from the door and held her tightly against himself as she began screaming and thrashing around in his arms, desperately trying to break free from the strong hold he had on her.

I closely observed as one of the nurses, Rebecca, approached the severely agitated Marianna. The nurse looked over at me, flashing a needle. I nodded at her before redireccting my gaze to Marianna's frightened face. "The nurse is going to give you some medication to make you relax, Marianna," I began. "This may sting a bit but it's for the best." I nodded gently at the nurse and watched as she rolled up Marianna's sleeve before carefully injecting her with a sedative.

"No... I don't want it..." Marianna cried out softly. I looked at her, smiling gently. She continued thrashing around in Michael's tight grip, slowly becoming weaker and weaker. Once Marianna completely stopped struggling against Michael, he released his hold. He picked her up and began carrying her to Seclusion while Dr Vladcoff, Rebecca and I followed closely behind.