Chapter 4 - Seclusion Part 1

10 November 2022

Marianna's POV

I felt extremely weak as I was being carried down an empty hallway. My surroundings became blurry but I was able to make out Dr Vencifer's face as I looked back. A man in a white coat and a young woman were walking by his side and they were following whoever was carrying me. Dr Vencifer noticed me staring at him and smiled as my vision went in and out of focus. He began saying something to the man who was walking beside him but his voice sounded distant and distorted.

After what seemed like eternity, I was carried into a room and placed on a bed. The person who was carrying me quickly exited the room. Dr Vencifer, the man in the white coat and the young woman entered the room, shutting the door behind them.

Dr Vencifer's POV

Marianna was still partially conscious as Rebecca had only injected her with a mild dose of Lorazepam. I sighed while looking down at Marianna with concern laced across my face, before redirecting my gaze to Rebecca.

"You know, I was reviewing Marianna's Patient File earlier and I noticed that you guys were unable to complete the prior self harm and injury check on her earlier," I began slowly, "I'm happy for you to do it now while she's mostly sedated if you want."

Rebecca nodded at me in response, "of course I can do that for you, Dr Vencifer."

"It might be a good idea if we give her some more Lorazepam so she's completely unconscious. What do you think?" Dr Vladcoff interjected.

I nodded gently at Dr Vladcoff before Marianna's weak voice interrupted me.

Marianna's POV

I heard some distant conversation, and allowed my eyes to direct themselves to the source. I was still able to make out Dr Vencifer's appearance. The man in the white coat had light brown, fluffy hair and the young woman had curly auburn hair. I saw that they were talking to each other, not noticing that I was trying to listen in on their conversation.

I focused my gaze on Dr Vencifer, his thick eyebrows were furrowed and his face was laced with concern. I could hear the calm but serious tone he was using. "...Marianna's Patient File...unable...injury check...do it now...sedated..." is all I was able to understand. I was slowly able to put the words together before realising what he was saying to the nurse.

"No... please..." I gasped softly, while trying to resist the effects of the medication they injected me with. My entire body felt heavy and almost paralysed. It was as though I was being forcefully pulled down onto the bed.

I felt tears streaming down my face as their heads snapped to face my direction.

Dr Vencifer's POV

I redirected my worried gaze towards Marianna, before slowly approaching her. She appeared to be becoming slightly anxious again so I sighed softly before offering her a gentle but disappointed smile.

"I told you this earlier, Marianna," I began, "the prior self harm and injury check is a mandatory process... we can't just skip it. The nurse will do it now while you're sedated."

"We can either keep you conscious or we can give you some more medication to help you sleep while she does it... it's your choice but if we feel that it'll be better for you if the nurse does it while you're unconscious, we will go ahead and give you that extra medication. How does that sound? Hmm?" Dr Vladcoff asked gently.

I watched closely as Marianna became more anxious and began murmuring incoherently while making very weak attempts to thrash around on the bed.

I sighed again and sat down next to her. "It's alright Marianna, you're safe and no one is going to hurt you during this process. The nurse will need to take off your pants and shirt to take photos of any marks but she will not remove any underwear. She will also cover you up again as soon as she completes the prior self harm and injury check."

Dr Vladcoff's POV

I looked down at Marianna with concern while she continued becoming more and more anxious. "No... stop... I don't want it... get away..." she whimpered while continuing to weakly thrash around on the bed as tears began rolling down her cheeks. She was clearly trying her hardest to fight the effects of the Lorazepam injection she had been given.

I turned to glance at Rebecca. I gave her a meaningful nod before redirecting my gaze back towards Marianna. Dr Vencifer slowly grabbed her arms while she was making feeble attempts to push him away from her, and gently pinned them to the bed.

Rebecca exited the Seclusion Room, returning after a few minutes with a second dose of Lorazepam. Rebecca quickly rushed over before carefully injecting Marianna with the second dose of Lorazepam to render her unconscious.

Dr Vencifer's POV

I continued gazing down at Marianna as she cried out softly in pain. She continued trying to resist the effects of the Lorazepam while focusing on my concerned face.

I slowly released Marianna's arms as her body began relaxing more. Dr Vladcoff and I waited until she was completely unconscious before exiting the Seclusion room, leaving Rebecca to complete the prior self harm and injury check.