Chapter 8

The wait was a long one.

The mud people made a point of not coming near her, but they communicated with Malia who brought her a piece of bread. Leyla accepted it gratefully and ate while keeping her eyes on the door.

More time went by. The Sage's assistant, Waru, called for Malia leaving Leyla to wait with Tai. The mud people lit a fire to cook and did their best to ignore them.

After what seemed like an age, Tai turned her way: "Why are you helping us?"

Why was she helping them? She wasn't sure either. Was it because Kaya reminded her of Michael? Or because she was an orphan? Leyla didn't know why, but she wanted, more than anything, to help the little girl survive. She needed her to survive. Ignoring Tai's intent gaze, she crossed her arms across her chest and continued to watch the doorway.

"I didn't really expect a reply anyway," Tai mumbled, his hair falling over his eyes as he kicked the ground. Then he stopped and Leyla could feel his gaze on her once more. "I will become someone like you."

Leyla couldn't help looking at the boy in surprise. His eyes were bright with unshed tears, his jaw clenched tight.

"If anyone tries to hurt those I love, I will kill them." His lips pressed together, he lowered his gaze to his feet, "I will not be knocked out like a fool. Next time, I will kill them all."

She could feel the pain in his words. Was there any use in telling him that killing would bring him no joy? That being someone like her, would bring him no peace? 

"No! Please, wait!" Malia's sudden cry had them both rushing at the hut.

Inside, the Sage was sitting beside Kaya's unconscious body, his hands on the girl's hip, while Malia stood off to the side, her face ashen.

Without breaking her stride, Leyla grabbed the Sage's wrist. The man did not struggle, nor did he speak as she scanned Kaya's body: her leg was bandaged, her body seemed to be radiating less heat and her breathing was even.

"What happened, Malia!?" Tai asked the question on Leyla's mind as he knelt beside the trembling woman.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! I just got nervous," Malia shook the boy's hand off of her shoulder and came to stand behind Leyla. "It's my fault, Protector. The Sage was just setting Kaya's hip, please let him go."

It required great force to fix a hip dislocation and Waru was nowhere in sight. Had the Sage really fixed it by himself? Frowning, Leyla let go of the man, but before she knew what he was about, he twisted his hand and pressed his fingers to her wrist.

"Protector? Is that your name?" The Sage smiled softly, his fingers moving gently across her skin. Leyla blinked, unmoving for a surprised moment, before she jumped back to her feet.

What was with this man? He was blind and had a gentle, calm air about him, but he had to be unusually strong, and the speed and control of his movements told her he must have learned how to fight.

"I'm sorry, Sage." Malia spoke quickly. "I made a fuss so the Protector must have thought something bad happened. He can't speak, but he only wants to help Kaya. Please, be forgiving."

"He is mute?" the Sage's brows rose gently, then he was smiling once more. "There's no need for apologies. Kaya's treatment is done for now, but she will need daily treatment-"

"Excuse me," Waru appeared at the door, his expression grim. "The rest of your people just arrived and the mud chief is not looking pleased."

Tai followed Malia as she rushed out of the hut, leaving Leyla behind.

"What is going on?" the Sage asked as his assistant moved to stand beside him. When the man didn't speak, his smile appeared once more, "You can speak freely in front of the Protector."

Waru's brows rose in her direction, but then he shrugged, "The mud chief is worried the newcomers will bring trouble. He will not allow them to stay."

Leyla frowned at the news. Didn't the Sage say Kaya needed daily treatment?

"What about the patient?" The Sage asked, his tone so calm that it seemed he didn't care one way or another. Would he really abandon Kaya if the mud people forced them out? No. Leyla couldn't let that happen.

"The chief wants them all gone," Waru confirmed.

Bloody Diya.

"So be it," the Sage nodded as he put the back of his hand to Kaya's temple. 

So be it?! Anger had Leyla standing. She would not allow Kaya to die, even if she had to hold the Sage, no, the entire village hostage!

"Waru, pack our things," the Sage said a moment later.

Leyla and Waru both stared in surprise.

"Pack?" Waru managed.

"Yes, pack." The Sage nodded, his fingers slipping away from Kaya's face. "We go where the patient goes."

Her anger dying in an instant, Leyla knelt beside Kaya's pale body with relief. He wasn't giving up on her. The little girl would survive. She was going to get better.

"May I?" The Sage's voice was soft as he reached out over Kaya's body towards Leyla's arm. She wanted to draw back, but felt too beholden to the man to pull away. Instead, she watched quietly, as his fingers found her palm. "Even though you are strong," he said, reaching with his free hand for a small bowl filled with a dark green paste. "You should not ignore your woulds."

The medicine was cool on the cuts left by the Timsa's scales. The Sage finished applying the paste, then reached for a clean strip of cloth. Waru was making a racket as he packed in the back of the hut, but Leyla was focused on the sound of Kaya's gentle breathing and the soft swishing of the Sage's clothes as he tied the bandage around her hand.

"The other hand," he said, reaching for more medicine.

Leyla did as she was told and held out her left palm. She could feel her muscles relaxing and a strange sense of languor seeped into her bones.

"There we go." The Sage said a while later. "I will check on your wounds again tomorrow." Leyla looked down at her wrapped hands, feeling strange. There was no need for any of this, all she wanted was for Kaya to get better.

"A blind man and a mute woman travelling together," the Sage whispered with a chuckle. "I'm quite looking forward to it."