Chapter 14

When Leyla returned with the water, the area around camp was in upheaval. The Hayvanis were clearing the ground, gathering wood and pitching tents. They couldn't be staying...could they? Handing the full flasks to a grateful looking Waru, she stroked the head of the feline beside her while looking for the Sage. A moment later, she spotted him near Kaya's shed, mixing herbs in a bowl.

"You've let them stay?" Leyla asked without preamble.

The Sage continued to pound the small rounded stick against some red petals for another moment before he put the bowl down and lifted his head in her direction. "Is there a reason they can not?"

Leyla frowned, casting a glance over the dozens of energetically working Hayvanis. Of course there was no reason they couldn't pitch tents here, it wasn't like this place belonged to anyone...three Hayvanis carrying baskets passed by at that moment, bowing their heads before sending dazzling smiles her way.

"It's just uncomfortable," she mumbled.

"You'll get used to it," the Sage laughed as he added a yellow powder to the crushed petals in his bowl.

Leyla had no intention of getting used to it. Once Kaya woke up, she would leave this place. "Is the medicine for Kaya?"

"No, one of the Hayvani women is eight months pregnant," the Sage said as he continued to mix the petals. "She must have been carrying too much during the long walk, so she's having early contractions."

Early contractions? Leyla looked around, trying to spot the pregnant woman she hadn't yet noticed. Why did she walk so far if it was going to endanger her baby! Just because of a damned Spirit Ghost? Just because of her...

"Protector." The Sage put a hand on her shoulder. His touch was soft, just like his voice. "The hayvan chose to follow you and the Hayvanis chose to come here. Everyone makes their own choices and lives with the consequences. You can't change that fact, so don't choose to take blame for something that is not in your hands."

She knew he was right. Everything happened through choices even though it didn't always feel that way. She chose to leave the Land of Light...to leave Michael and Delphine and...Raphael.

Raising her hand, Leyla covered the part of her chest that hurt at the thought of him.

The Sage's brows rose as if he could sense her feelings.

"I need to go," Leyla moved out from under his grasp. This was no time to think about what was lost. Whether it was her fault or not, their camp had suddenly grown in size and was going to become that much easier to spot. She had to take care of the bodies of the Bone Eaters before they were found.

"Hey, Protector!" Liam's cheery voice had her turning around to find him approaching with ten smiling children in tow. The Hayvani kids were holding hands with the village kids as they followed behind Liam like ducklings.

Coming to a stop a little ways away from her, Liam looked at the hayvan beside her then pointed back at his troop, "So, the children were wondering if the hayvan would hurt them. Of course I told them he would never do that. Isn't that right, Protector?"

What was he trying to do? Leyla blinked her surprise away and nodded.

Liam rolled his eyes at her lacklustre response, then took another step forward. "We were thinking that maybe everyone would feel less worried if we could call the hayvan by a name."

A name? Leyla saw the children watching her with wide eyes and forced herself to nod once more, "Sounds like a good idea." She reached out to stroke the hayvan's head, showing the kids that he was harmless. "Why don't you guys name him?"