Chapter 35

While Alec watched Julius depart, Leyla stepped back into the circle of Warriors and put her hand on Athiri's head. It smacked of cowardice, but the Hayvan was the perfect way to ensure some distance between her and the blonde King who now turned her way.

"Finally," Alec muttered under his breath before he looked at Toke.

Understanding his masters' question without words, the Warrior spoke quickly: "A few minor wounds, no losses. The Protector is an exceptional fighter, just as you predicted."

"Understood," Alec said, then he moved towards her, "We thank you for your help, Protector."

Leyla tensed, making Athiri growl in protest.

The Warrior King stopped in his tracks and laughed at the Hayvan: "Not too close, I understand."

Taking a breath, Leyla spoke with a low tone, "You said you have business with me?"

"Indeed." The torchlight cast shadows across pleased Alec's smile, "Did Toke not tell you that if you helped us, I would do you a favour in return?"

That was what he wanted to discuss? Leyla thought quickly, trying to decide if she should ask for something or not. Insisting that her help was in repayment of the fire and food they had shared would likely lengthen the conversation and that was the last thing she wanted. Plus, there was something the Protectorate did need...

"Swords," Leyla said at last. "If you insist on returning the favour, I will take any spare swords in the outpost with me as I leave."

Alec's eyes burned a deep blue as he nodded, "Let's move out to the outpost."

"Yes, Sir!" The Warriors surrounding them replied.

To Leyla's surprise, Alec didn't try to speak to her after that. He and Toke walked ahead while their circle of Warriors followed. She had really expected him to ask more questions, but perhaps he was getting a more detailed report from Toke first? It was difficult to hear a word that was being said between the men when oncoming revellers kept flocking towards Happy Times to catch a glimpse of their Savior King.

Alec didn't look in her direction until they reached the outpost. Captain Morten and all his men were lined up, having spotted their King some distance away.

"Captain, show us to the storage room," he commanded as he motioned Leyla forward. "Your men can stay outside, since the Hayvan seems to make them wary."

He was even going to let Athiri come with her? This really was going better than she had hoped. Leyla couldn't remember ever witnessing Alec being so accommodating, but she was not going to question her luck. She followed the Captain quickly, hoping they would gather the weapons and leave as soon as possible. Alec and Toke followed behind them, discussing what sounded like mundane details for increased food supplies to be sent to the Warrior Kingdom that week.

As they entered the wooden tower, Athiri's nostrils flared in curiosity.

"This way," the Captain led them past two closed doors, to a third one which he opened before standing back. "This is the storage room." Leyla took a step into the room with Athiri by her side, when she was suddenly yanked back.

Before she could react, Toke had shut the door behind Athiri and Alec was pushing her into the next room.

"What - "

Her protest was cut short, when Alec trapped her against the wall and ripped her mask off. At her wide-eyed look, he put his forehead to hers and closed his eyes.

"You hid your face, your voice, even your eyes...but did you really think I wouldn't recognise you, Leyla?" His hands came up to push her hood off of her hair, then he was cupping her face, "The way you walk, the way fight, your scent...don't you know there is no one like you?"

Finally regaining her composure, Leyla pushed at his hands, "Let go!"

"Let go?!" There was anger in his voice now as he looked down at her. "I did let go and look how that turned out! What in Gaia are you doing at that camp? How can that idiot make you fight day in and out? And what in Diya is the Land of Light planning by creating a Protectorate!"

Tevvuks Beard, Alec was misunderstanding everything! Not that she could blame him for the conclusions he had drawn, but if he thought the camp was something dangerous..."The Protectorate has nothing to do with Raphael, it all happened by accident."

"What do you mean it has nothing to do with him?" Alec's golden brows drew together in confusion, "Why would you be living there if...Wait, you left him?"

Why was he focusing on that now? She had to make sure he understood that the people in the camp would not prove dangerous to the Warrior Kingdom. "The people who live in the Protectorate are just trying to survive."

When he remained quiet, Leyla pushed on. "They've been running from Shik's men...they are mine to protect. Please, do not touch them."

Alec drew a hand over his face as laughter rumbled in his chest, "You were always like this. Defending those who can't defend themselves, with no care for yourself..." He took a deep breath, sighing as he looked at her. "That's why I fell in love with you. That's why I still love you."

Leyla's fingers clenched at his sad look. It pained her to see him hurting, but the love she might have felt for him in the past was long gone. The sound of Athiri's whine reached her ears.

"Please step aside, I need to go to Athiri."

Disappointment was written across Alec's face, but he didn't budge. "How did you tame him?"

"I didn't," she sighed. "I just protected him."

"Of course, The Protector," he nodded, then he was rolling back his shoulders as if trying to get rid of a strain. "I told you, you would choose the Hayvan. Do you remember?"

Leyla remembered it well. The day she walked through Kings Town market with him. This man had protected her, looked out for her and given her a warmth she hadn't known could exist. She would always be grateful for that.

"Walking through the market with you is one of my fondest memories, there is no way I would forget it."

"You are being kind now. Is it out of pity?" Alec's smile was soft, "I would like to use that to my advantage, but it feels like foul play."

"Alec -" she said his name, but didn't know what else to say.

"I know," he sighed. "I lost you. I know it was my own doing, but I can't move on, Leyla." His fingers reached out for her hand, then he placed a light kiss inside her palm. "So I'll stay still. I'll wait. And if you decide to come back to me, I swear I will never hurt you again."

Leyla's skin tingled where his lips had left their mark and for a moment she couldn't move. Then a loud thud was followed by another. Athiri.

"Let me go to him," she said quickly. "You know it too, if Athiri hurts himself, this place will be crawling with Hayvans."

The Warrior King hesitated for a moment longer, then he picked up her mask and held it out to her.