Chapter 40

The camp was overflowing with smiles and bom flowers. It had been a week since the birth of the first child to the Protectorate, and tonight the baby would be named.

Leyla flicked her wrist, sending Tai's sword flying out of his hand then frowned at the look of dumb surprise on his face: "Focus!"

The boy blinked, his gaze wondering enviously towards the Water children who were braiding flowers into each others hair before he rushed to pick up his weapon.

"I'm running out of pain ointment," The Sage's voice had Leyla turning to find him approaching with Athiri in tow. The Hayvan rushed to her side and sat half on her toes in his attempt to get as close as possible. "Is it really necessary to train them so hard on naming day?"

Leyla put her forehead to Athiri's, closing her eyes to allow his purrs to relax her ever tense muscles. "I don't think Bone Eaters care what day it is, do you?"

"As you wish, Protector." Gabriel smiled. He wouldn't push, just as she had not pushed when he chose to avoid speaking of his encounter with Raphael.

Leyla had been stuck with her questions for an entire week and while her curiosity should have been growing it was her anger instead that had increased. She was angry at herself, because it was apparent to her now that despite everything that had happened, she still loved Raphael. Despite his betrayal, she found her mind wondering to him at all times of the day, worrying about how he was doing, what he was doing now that he knew his brother still lived...

Giving Athiri a final pat she turned back to find Tai rubbing his wrist. The foolish kid, how had he been holding the sword for his wrist to start swelling. "Alright, we will end it here today. Have the Sage wrap your wrist, then you can go help the others with the preparations."

Tai's eyes lit up, but he suppressed his excitement with a formal, "As you command, Protector."

"Hah!" Leyla shook her head with amusement, then turned to the Sage. "He is picking up on your dry tone."

"My deepest apologies," Gabriel said not looking the least bit contrite.

Leyla took in the slight curve of his lips and shook her head in wonder. How had she missed it till now? The sarcastic curl of their lips, their intellect, the calm way they faced danger...even their ability to second guess everyone around them; Gabriel and Raphael were brothers through and through.

She remembered the day Raphael told her about his brother; the love for his twin and the guilt at his passing had been so obvious. Wasn't it for Gabriel's sake that the Prorex had taken care of 'Annabelle for as long as he did? Thinking of the madwoman made Leyla's fingers clench into fists. She really should have knocked her out at least once.

A sudden warm in her fists had her looking down in surprise. The familiar buzzing feeling was travelling up her arms...had she called the Heat without realising it? "But how..."

"Did you say something?" Gabriel asked beside her.

"No," Leyla frowned, brushing her tingling fingers against her legs.

"I will go check on Kaya's medicines now." The Sage turned towards his hut before adding over his shoulder, "Don't forget to eat."

"Yes, yes," Leyla agreed, still looking at her hands. The warmth was starting to seep away, but when had calling the Heat become so easy? Somehow it made her a little uneasy.

"Protector?" A Hayvani man she recognized as part of the lookout team approached. Bowing his head in respect, he spoke, "We could not find the western mark for the check point."

Leyla frowned, "Peter sent you?"

"Yes, Protector," the Hayvani bowed.

"Take me to him."

Leyla followed the man to the gate wondered what could have happened. Now that Alec's men were actively seeking out Bone Eaters, it was only a matter of course that they were coming across both the devastation and the survivors Shik's men were reaping across the No Lands. And since Alec knew she wouldn't turn anyone away, Warriors had been sending the survivors in their direction for days. In the past week, fifty-three new refugees had joined the Protectorate.

Unfortunately, many of the arriving survivors were getting caught up in the traps they had laid out for approaching Bone Eaters so Leyla had ordered for patrols to be doubled and a check point to be installed. That way, approaching refugees would be led through the traps by a Protectorate patrol.

Of course, the increase in their numbers also meant they not only needed more living space. Leyla scanned the progress on the outer wall as they passed through the gate.

"Protector!" Voices rose in greeting and she responded by nodding her head. The second wall was coming along quickly with the help of all of the new arrivals. Soon the Protectorate would be split into two sections. She had ordered the sleeping tents of the archers, guards and swordsmen to be placed in the section outside the inner wall. Training facilities would also go into the newly created space, while a schooling hut would be added within the inner area.

"This way, Protector," the Hayvani in front of her turned west towards the thickening trees. The night had been particularly cold so bits of frost still glistened on branches that had been out of reach of the sunlight in the earlier hours. A squirrel scampered overhead and Athiri raised his big head, his ears twitching a he sniffed the air. A second squirrel followed the first and the Hayvan whined, bumping his head against her leg. It was easy to forget because of his big frame, but the feline was still a cub who wanted to run and play.

Leyla scanned the quiet surroundings. Despite appearing to be safe, there was always a chance of a Bone Eater archer getting past their look outs which was why she had instructed only experienced hunters to do the jobs outside of the wall.

"Be patient," she whispered, stroking Athiri's head. The children would run around with him once they got back to the safety of camp.

The Hayvani moved further into the forest and Leyla frowned. The check point should have not have been so far west. She was about to ask if the man was lost, when they reached a clearing and her guide stopped and turned.

"What's wrong...?" Leyla asked. Then she saw the men in the clearing behind the Hayvani. Wearing dark cloaks with raised hoods, they turned their gazes in her direction, their hands on the hilts of their swords.

Leyla was reaching for her own sword when a familiar voice froze her in place.

"Move!" She blinked in utter surprise as an annoyed looking Michael pushed past the cloaked men muttering, "I told you to get out of my way..." His words trailed off as his blue eyes met hers.

Leyla felt like she was frozen. Happiness, yearning, guilt; her chest felt like it was going to burst as she looked at her little brother's precious face.