13 - A Shiba's Requiem And A Kuchiki's Lament -

"Now I play the saddest songs

Is that really what Mamma wanted?

For her baby to be so haunted?

Is that really what she intended?"

Mamma Told Me, Mother Mother

Kaien had one last matter to tend to in the World of the Living before he could go back to Las Noches. Borrowing 20,000 yen from Isshin to 'buy some souvenirs', he walked down the streets of Karakura. Humans had ways to lessen the blow of death, little rituals done to give them hope that their loved ones were still there. All these people seemed so happy chatting with each other, dancing, eating, going about their night as if all was right in the world.

For this one night, death didn't seem like such a scary thing.

Though Kaien didn't quite fear death anymore. He was supposed to be dead, supposed to have been felled by Rukia's blade, but here he was walking amongst the living in a gigai. He passed the lights and shops, coming to the river that ran through Karakura. He noted a stall selling lanterns and notes. Maybe he could... no, he couldn't start chickening out now.

He walked up to the stall, putting on a warm smile, putting on a mask just like Aizen often did. In a way, the masks were similar in that instance: giving off a certain mood to achieve your own ends.

He just didn't want Aizen to find out what he was going to do.

"One lantern and a slip of paper, please!" Kaien asked. The interaction went smoothly, Kaien was handed a pen to write his message. Quickly, he wrote it down, addressing it to Kuukaku and Ganju.

He couldn't have everyone knowing, but he wanted them to know their big brother was alright.

"Thank you! Have a good night!" Kaien called to the stall owner. She replied in kind with a simple 'You too!'. The little lantern in its boat felt like lead in Kaien's hands as he walked down to the riverbank. Even this late, people were still gathered there.

He knelt down, looking at the message he wrote one last time before placing the boat on the water, giving it a little push.

He watched it drift down the river, a quivering smile on his face. They'd know, they'd know he was okay, that he was alive. Unknown to him, a few tears rolled down his cheeks. He heard a pop and a whistle.

Fireworks, like Kuukaku's. He stood there, mesmerized by those bright and bold colors lighting up the sky. They stood out against the inky blue sky, demanding everyone's attention. For everyone to look at them and ooh and aah at them, even for people to give responses beyond that. Just like his siblings.

In a way, just like Ichigo. But Ichigo had a lot more intensity to him than fireworks, the kid being a lot more like a bonfire. Ichigo was a lot, constantly holding back to keep those around him from getting hurt. Even then, his reiatsu was immense.

But that was expected. The kid was a descendant of a Noble First clan, host to the Vasto Lorde Zangetsu, and from one of his techniques, likely had some Quincy blood in him.

On the way back, he got some takoyaki with the remaining money he had. He bit into it, mouth quirking into a smile at the slight crunch of the batter shell and the smoothness of the octopus meat. He felt some of the sauce on it drip on his face, only for a bit of the mayo on it to land on his kimono. He quickly wiped it off, frowning at the stain. He'd only had this kimono for a night and he already messed it up!