Chapter One

4 years later...

"I don't get why he has to come. What's he going to do? What if declares war on us or arrests you?" My beta rambled on. The future Alpha King heard about my pack and is coming to see if we were a threat which we weren't. My pack was huge and powerful, but we have no ill intentions. If the future Alpha King can't see that, then I don't know what I'll do. But, no matter what happens, I'll do anything for my pack. Even if it means war.

I did have one pretty major worry, but I hoped he will have some integrity. My eyes drifted to the entrance when my nose smelt his amazing scent — vanilla and cinnamon. I didn't think I was fully ready for this. I never thought I'd see him again. The worst part was I had to keep my mouth shut and not do anything stupid that would risk pissing him off. Normally, I'm respectful but I speak my mind, and most of what I think about him was negative.

My beta's attention was shifted to the two guys who entered the room once they entered. However, Mine was focused specifically on the future King, my mate. He looked even hotter than before though I was staring at the floor when we first met. I couldn't help but feel attracted to him and I hated it. His sharp jawline, clean stubble, messy but still professional haircut, and honey-brown eyes made me feel weak. Goddess, I hated this.

Both of the men froze when they noticed me. I doubted it was for the same reason as my mate didn't seem like someone to brag about what happened with us. Though, I didn't really know him so who's to say?

"You're a woman!" his beta said in disbelief.

"And you're a man," I replied. "Now, that we got that out of the way. How may I help you, gentlemen?" The urge to smirk at their shock was strong but I couldn't go and disrespect my mate like that. Wait, no I totally can. But... I shouldn't. Not if I wanted my pack to be safe. I got to have some manners. Can't risk pissing either of them off.

My mate was still in shock when his beta flicked his ear. He glared at him before turning his attention to me. "You're the Alpha Rogue?" He asked in disgust.

My beta, Rose growled at him. I shot her a look before responding, "I am. Now, are you going to tell me why you're here?" My tone was a bit blunt, but I wanted to get straight to the point so he could leave as soon as possible. I've had a few mental breakdowns over the past few years because I got overwhelmed. It was rare nowadays but I knew, that if my mate decided to stay around any longer, I might not be able to handle it. All that work would be for nothing.

"Watch your attitude, Rogue," he growled. Both our betas flinched but I gave him a challenging glare. He didn't know who he was dealing with. I wasn't the broken, submissive girl I used to be. I was stronger now. Confident. Powerful. I was Alexa King. The alpha rogue. If he thought he could intimidate me, he was wrong.

"If you don't have a reason for being here, you should leave. You're making my pack uncomfortable," I informed him calmly. Most people here had PTSD and a lot of them had a fear of men or just dominant people in general. So, not only was he bad for my mental well-being, he was bad for everyone else's.

I couldn't tell if he was more pissed or more surprised by the fact I told him to leave. I'm guessing most people think that it's a gift for the future Alpha King to visit. No one would dare tell him to leave. Why would they? He's such a lovely person who I have no desire to punch.

He snarled, "You don't tell me to leave. I am your king." See? Wasn't he charming?

I really shouldn't piss him off more though. I had a pact to protect so I need to keep my mouth shut for now. "Behave for them, Alexa. You can do it. Probably," I thought.

I sighed, "Well, can you please tell me why you are here, your royal highness?" My sarcasm caused both betas to snort but my mate ignored it thankfully. Yeah, respecting him was just a little hard. Though he never really gave me a reason to so was it really my fault? I may have a pettiness problem. Maybe. Just a little.