Chapter Two

"Alexa Jae King!" My beta shrieked. 

"Today is going to be a long day," I thought as I rubbed my forehead, then grabbed my coffee mug. I gave Rosa a sarcastic smile as I walked into my living room. Olivia was on the floor colouring while Rosa and Doctor Emma were talking to her. 

"You look like you got no sleep last night," she stated seriously.

There was a time in my life when I went nights without sleep. Raising a newborn, working, and seemingly endless nightmares made it really hard to get any sleep. So, whenever Rosa and Doctor Emma suspect I didn't get any sleep, they stress out a lot. Obviously, out of care but it could be a little annoying. I was fine.

Okay, so maybe not fine fine, but I could function. That was good enough for me. Not for them though.

"I got four hours," I corrected her. "I had an important phone call with Jameson last night."

"You cried last night, Mama. You were scared," Olivia said. Damn, my daughter's a tattletale.

I sighed and picked up Olivia. "I just had a nightmare, Squirt," I informed her, kissing her head. Rosa and Emma looked at me with concern. I shook my head. I was glad they care about me but my nightmare didn't mean anything. "Something triggered a memory. I'm fine," I told her.

Rosa studied me, trying to figure out what I was hiding from her. She was my beta and deserved to know that Alpha Zaine was my mate. But I was kind of just hoping he would just go away and I wouldn't have to deal with him.

Last night, I relived the day we met.

It wasn't the worst nor the best day of my life. He broke me that day but I found out I was pregnant with Olivia which made me stronger. Olivia gave me a reason to fight and I was glad she did. I watched her as she coloured and smiled. I love her more than anything.

"Your mate triggered it. Didn't he?" Rosa asked. How did she know? Emma and Olivia looked at me with wide eyes. Now, I was going to have to talk to Olivia later about this. I have to figure out a way to tell her about him without making him sound like a complete jackass. As much as I dislike him, I still thought he wasn't a bad person. Goddess, my plan to just pretend he didn't exist wasn't really working out for me so far.

"Your mate? Who is he?" Emma asked curiously.

Before Rosa could answer, James and Sophia walked into my house together. I was slightly surprised she trusted him but I was glad she did. She, despite what happened, seemed to be pretty trusting, and James seemed to be a good person for her to trust. Plus, they seemed to get along well. Sophia was scolding James for not knocking which only caused him to laugh.

Emma inquired, "Is that him?"

"No, that's the future Alph King," Rosa responded, pointing to Alpha Zaine, who was walking behind them. I genuinely didn't know how she knew it was him. I never even mentioned my mate's name when I talked about him. But I guess that was part of the reason she was such a good beta. She was observant and great at reading people. Skills I really admired.

He stared blankly at Rosa and Emma before looking at Olivia. She curiously stared back at him. His eyes were filled with disgust. I lightly hit his arm so he'd knock it off and focus on Sophia. "How'd you sleep last night, Sophia?" I questioned her.

Sophia tensed and looked up at James for help. He gave her a reassuring smile before she responded. "I had a nightmare," she said, smiling slightly. "James thought I was in danger so he kind of burst into my room. He stayed with me until I fell asleep so I wouldn't be afraid." I grinned at them.

I was so thankful that James helped Sophia last night. Nightmares tended to be quite common around here, so some omegas would offer to help if needed. Most loved cuddles and helping people so they enjoyed the task.