Charpter 4

Jackson, 17.

As people started to show to the party, I found myself already wanting it to be over. With Candace and I on the burner, I was not looking forward to the party gossip about what people were going to call "our heated breakup."

"Hopefully, some of the college guys come. I'm suffering for man," Davis said interrupting my thoughts with his masculine homo flare.

"College guys?" I questioned.

"Yeah! I sent a little e-vite to one of the girls from my College English course and told her to feel free to invite a few eligible bachelors."

"You do know if any come it'll probably be like frats or jocks claiming to be straight, right?"

"Hell, a dog can CLAIM to be a bird all day, but that bitch still can't fly," he chuckled.

"You silly," I said with I'm guessing the absence of enthusiasm.

Davis glared at me, "Oh, hell no! Don't let Candace's stupidity get you down. We been planning this party for too long to have you moping around here like you got the Jones. She was just good pussy. There's more where the fake likes of her came from at the Barbie factory. Plus, there to much alcohol here to feel anything."

He put his arm over my shoulder, "So, let's drink to some shit," he said as he grabbed a bottle and a couple of shot glasses.

He poured us up some shots and the night began to take off.

A couple of hours later, I found myself stumbling through the hallway drunk as the day was long. Fumbling to manage and stay standing. Dancing and singing at the top of my lungs. Dizzy and sweating profusely I fall into an end table and knock a lamp, only to look up to see Candace and her messy friends staring and judging. I rush out of the room as shame comes over me. I get flustered. I run for the front door out into the yard and fall to my knees puking uncontrollably. Breathing heavy eyes closed I sit on the ground. When opening my eyes, my gaze is met with a Tweety Bird bandana. I follow the extension of the hand to the face of. . . "Sammie?" She smiled.

"This is the second time in a week I've had to lend you a hand. Sooner or later I'm going to have to charge for my services."

"What are you doing here? I mean. . ." thinking of how that sounded. "I thought you didn't like seedy parties with drugs and alcohol?"

"I don't. Kim made me come," she said sitting down next to me on the ground. "Something about me needing a social life."

I laughed. Weirdly, our eyes met and we held a pleasant gaze. "Having a good time then?" I asked.

"My God!" she gasped and coughed. "An even better one if we could do something about that breath."

She laughed and I couldn't stop looking at her smile. She captured me for some reason. Which was strange because I don't ever remember looking at her like this, "I never realized how beautiful you are."

"Yep," she said getting up and tugging on my arm to help me up. "It's official. You're drunk!"

"I'm serious!"

"Ok, and you seriously need to hydrate yourself. The lack of water has you all delusional."

"Or maybe it's making me see clearly!"

"JD, no!" she said with a seriousness. "Just don't. You're drunk and heartbroken. And just saying things. Just don't!" She paused. "Now. Water."

So I stayed silent as she helped me stagger back to the house where she would spend the next half hour nursing me back from my drunken state.