Chapter 3

Samantha, 17.

My mind was everywhere since my brush with love. Even walking through the school halls, I felt alleviated from my life. I was floating on a cloud when my loved formed oasis was interrupted by an argument going on by the lockers. A lover's quarrel, from what I could tell, between Candace Carter, the captain of the dance team, and Jackson Thomas, the basketball star.

I never think about him anymore. One moment we were friends and the next he doesn't talk to me. I could only assume that he got to cool for me.

I glance in their direction as I walk by. Jackson catching my gaze and returning it with his. I snapped my head forward in shame of staring and quickly rushed around the corner and through my back up against the wall. For some reason, my heart was racing. The look in his eyes and on his face was a mixture of fear, sadness, and anger. But also, one of shock. It's almost like, out of all the people that could have seen him at that moment it was me.

He rushed around the corner with his name being screamed in the distance. He stopped and some lockers and it seemed with all his might he punched ones making me flinch.

"Mother fucker!" he yelped in pain, pushing his back against the lockers and sliding to the floor. He placed his hands on his head and sighed in what sounded like tears. I wanted to say something but didn't think it appropriate. So I attempted to walk away and one of my books fell from my hands. This startled him and looked up quick. "Sneaking away, I don't blame you," he laughed. "I'm a mess. . . I can believe her."

I walked to him and squatted down, "It's not my place to judge you or what you are going through. Let me see your hand, through. You might have broken something."

I grabbed his hand which was skin scrapped and bleeding at the knuckles. His face cringed as I held it possibly a little tighter then expected, "I'm sorry."

"No need to be," he said. "I'm kinda surprise that you are helping me."

I didn't say anything at this. I just stared at him in concern.

"What?!" he asked with a simple white straight smile on his face.

"What?! Nothing, I was just. . ."

"You were just staring" he chuckled.

I rolled my eyes, "Don't flatter yourself, JD."

He laughed, "Man, nobody has called me that in years."

"Well, I was never just anybody, so" I smiled.

He stared at me for a minute. I very girly brushed my hair behind my ear as I watched him lick his lips. At this sight, I felt something, a strange desire. Our gazes meet and it almost seemed that we drifted slowly toward each other.

"Sam," a loud screeching voice said, interrupting what couldn't have been a moment. I snapped my head back seeing Kim giving me a look like, "what the hell!"

I turned to JD, "Well, I guess that's my cue. You should have that hand looked at."

"Okay," he smiled. "You have a good one, Sammie."

I smiled in a weird, great satisfaction and the sound of that name coming from him. It was like we never stopped talking. I stood as we had a gaze again. Then I turned and walked away.

Home bound, I felt lovely.