Melody

Anna's POV

That night, I fell asleep in Lewis's arms.

"Thank you," I whispered in the dark. "For everything."

He remained silent but kissed me softly on the top of my head. Then, I dozed off.

...

The next morning, I woke up still in Lewis's embrace. My head was pounding, my eyes were puffy from crying and from the lack of sleep.

"Morning, baby, you finally awake?" I heard a familiar voice.

No. Not yet.

I growled instead of an answer and buried my head in his chest.

"I don't feel good," I confessed.

...

Lewis's POV

I don't want to talk about it. I mean...man, I just don't know what to say. I thought...What did I even think?

...

Anna's POV

When I was finally able to get out of bed, I headed to the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. I looked like a mess. Smeared mascara, greasy hair still tied up in a bun, and those eye bags, oh my god.

I took off my clothes, stepped into the shower, and let the hot water rinse off all the memories of the last night.

All?No.

I shouldn't have done that. I was drunk and...who am I kidding? I wanted it, I wanted it too. I remembered the sensation I felt when he drew his face closer to mine, the scent of fresh mint and apples, and the reason why I parted my lips from his.

Max.

That idiot.

That fucking idiot, I cursed in my head.

It was all his fault in the first place. If he didn't kiss Laura...

"Anna?" a soft knock interrupted my thoughts.

"Are you alright?"

I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply. I was not.

"Yes, just a moment," I shouted through the running water. Just a moment.

...

Lewis's POV

We spent the rest of the day in her apartment, mainly because we left the bed at nearly 2 o'clock.

"Shall we go out for dinner at least?" she asked, putting away the game console.

"You've never been to Prague before, right? Moreover, it's Christmas time. There are Christmas markets in the city center so we can go and take a walk and taste some mulled wine," she smirked, "you will like it, you'll see."

"You feeling better I see," I mocked her and she rolled her eyes.

"Come on, let's go."

She was right. I really liked the Old Town and the famous astronomical clock on the square. We climbed up on the tower to see the city from above, then had some mulled wine and...what was it called... trdelník? Yes, we ate trdelník; a rolled dough topped with sugar, cinnamon and walnuts.

Then we came back to her apartment and talked for hours but neither of us mentioned what had happened the night before as if nothing had happened at all. ...

Anna's POV

I was making us some tea when I heard the sound of the piano emanating from the living room. I let the water boil and quietly left the kitchen. I leaned against the wall and listened to Lewis play. It was a nice melody yet unknown to me. As if he felt my gaze upon him, he stopped playing and turned to me. 

"No, don't stop, I didn't mean to interrupt you," I encouraged him. "I didn't know you could play that well, I thought you were only starting," I sat on the edge of the bed.

"I am, that's pretty much all I know," he confessed. "I need a teacher," he smirked.

"Well," I said as I installed myself next to him at the piano. "I might know someone," I winked and placed my hands on the keyboard. 

"Play me something," he said softly.

"What do you want me to play?"

"Anything, whatever you want, really. I've never heard you play. Only on the recordings you sent me."

Why not, I smiled faintly.

I pressed the keys and started to play one of my own songs.

"What's that song?" he asked me. "I don't know this one."

"Oh nothing, it's just a ditty," I said and changed the melody for one of Ed Sheeran's songs. 

...

Lewis's POV

There were times, like in Paris or the night of Anna's birthday, when I thought everything was lost for good and that I will never get out of the friendzone.

But then there were times...like when we played the piano together in her apartment or when she looked at me, Christmas lights reflecting in her eyes, and she spoke as if there was a chance that we could be together one day after all... 

I was confused but I understood she was confused as well. And so I decided not to add to her confusion, and to keep what Luke told me about Laura to myself. There was no reason for her to know about it.