Life

Max's POV

It was Thursday. Usually, Thursdays were my least favourite days, but not this time. Not when I was about to meet Anna again.

I made up my mind.

Finally.

...

Anna's POV

After 16 hours on the plane and 32 minutes in the car, we finally arrived at Yas Marina Circuit. Even though it was media day, the paddock was buzzing. I took a deep breath.

"You okay?" Daniel made sure and I nodded.

I was okay. Right?

Yes.

I had a lot of time for myself to think about everything, and I made up my mind.

Yes - our relationship was toxic.

At least, the way it was now. It was destroying us both.

We simply couldn't continue like that.

Fighting, swearing, blaming, crying, sulking, apologizing, making up...again and again and again.

However, I believed we could still talk it through. After all, all was not lost.

Or was it?

If only Max tried to understand me...

I'm not asking you to give up your dreams, Anna, I'm asking you to compromise.

To compromise. But was there room for compromise? Who will yield to whom?

I was ready to give up everything for him. Yes, I know what you're thinking, but I loved him too much. I couldn't lose him. I just wanted him to...to show me that he would be able to do the same for me. That he loved me, too.

"You would really do that?" Daniel asked me on the plane. "You would give up your dreams only to be with Max?"

"Yes, Danny. If it is the only way..." I looked out of the window.

If it was the only way...

"But you worked so hard for this, Anna, your career has only just begun!"

"I know, but..."

"But what? You want to blow a chance of pursuing your dream because of what - because of someone so self-absorbed that is unable to actually think of anyone but himself?"

"No, Danny, because I value him more than all dreams. He is my dream come true."

...

Max's POV

I was standing in front of the media room, waiting to be called in when the doors opened and she walked in.

"After you," I heard Daniel say as he held the doors open for her and she smiled brightly in response.

But when she got a sight of me, her smile froze on her face.

"Hi," I stuttered.

"Hi, mate," Daniel jumped in and high-fived me, but I wasn't greeting him - I was greeting Anna.

"Hi," a little hesitant, she took a few steps towards me.

We both stood still.

"Anna I..." I took a breath to address her, but I got interrupted by Norris.

"Anna!" he broke the doors open. The press conference was apparently over.

"Lando," she wrapped her arms around his neck as he kissed her cheek. "I haven't seen you in a while!"

"Yessss, we missed you in Brazil, superstar! Are you staying after the grand prix for the party? Are you? I'd love to party with you again! And this time, I can actually have a drink, too!" they both laughed.

"Yes, I think I might stay for the party," the smile disappeared from her face once again, "I'd love to drag you home unable to walk on your own again, too," she teased him.

"Hahahahaha I have absolutely no idea what ya talking about but - I gotta go now, see you later," he hugged her briefly as he joined other people streaming out of the conference room.

"Max, we need to go," my PR assistant informed me as I waited for Norris to leave the room.

"Yeah," I brushed her off and searched for Anna. She was hugging Leclerc now. Maybe I should get in line, I thought.

"Max," I got called in again.

Looking from Anna to the room already filled with other drivers, I decided to go and join them when someone's hand stopped me.

"Anna."

I instinctively wrapped my arms around her waist. "Will you wait for me in the garage? I need to talk to you."

She nodded slightly.

"Okay, I have to go now," but I didn't want to.

"I know," she said and kissed me softly on the cheek. "I'll be waiting."

With that, she stepped back and smiled faintly.

"Max, please, everyone is waiting for you," my PR assistant pleaded, but for me, the most important thing was that Anna was waiting for me.

As if to make sure she was still standing there, I looked back several times before I quickly jumped to her and kissed her. It was just a fleeting kiss but it filled me with life. She was my life. And she always will be.