chapter three.

☆★☆★☆★

Two days later

"Class is dismissed! Don't forget to write an essay about the importance of the Meiji Era to our current civilization." Maeda sensei, the Japanese History teacher, clapped his hand as he announced the assignment for next week's class.

There was a collective groan, but Reina tuned them out. She needed to get off class pretty fast to hand over an essay to her buyer, drop by Yuri's clubroom to pick up some letters. And to pick up her younger sister from the modelling agency building after Makoto was done with her photoshoot.

"Yuri, I'm off to handle some...transaction first," Reina informed as she zipped her school bag and faced her best friend. "I'll drop by your club room after that."

"Take your time, Reina," Yuri replied, tugging her black school bag on her shoulders. "You're only freelancing, so no pressure."

Sometimes Reina wanted to shake on Yuri's shoulders and make her friend admit out loud that it was okay to ask for more help. But alas, it was not like Reina could force anyone to do what they weren't ready to, not even Yuri.

Her newest buyer was Suna Rintarou and from what Reina knew about him, he was also in the second year and a member of a volleyball club. She inwardly sighed, apparently, the universe made it even more obvious it would be hard for her to separate herself from the sport. At least Suna was not one of the flashy members of the club and they both agreed through text to meet up discreetly behind the gym after school hours ended. Having a jock as her client was not really ideal, but Reina needed the cash.

The reason she chose Inarizaki was due to the ensemble band club. Even though her father was more than overjoyed seeing that Reina chose to attend a sports powerhouse school. Last year, Reina had yet to realize just how much the other non sports related clubs in her school were infested with the serious issue of jock worship.

"Oh, so you're Shibazeki who is among the ones that left the club at the beginning of the year," suddenly a grating voice greeted Reina from behind. She was just about to walk down the staircase. Turning her back, Reina saw to whom the voice belonged to.

A pretty and tall girl was standing right before her eyes. From the way her sharp gaze seemed to size Reina up and her school skirt was cut too short from the required length, this stranger was the type to wear layers of superficiality to cover up their own insecurities.

If Mai was here, her former best friend would end this stranger right on spot with her withering gaze. Sachiro, on the other hand, would just handle the situation with unnerving kindness.

Alas, Reina had acknowledged in her own self reflection that she was someone that brought out people's worse qualities (at least at first). Not because she was a terrible person, but rather her seemingly nerdy disposition gave the illusion that she was someone easily stepped on.

"Is there anything I can do to help you with?" Reina asked with a flat tone. She had to wait for a reason to drop all niceties and went apeshit.

"I'm just seeing who I replaced in the club for the first chair of the trumpet section," The girl said with a smirk. "I heard you're a clubless student now these days."

In a school like Inarizaki where club culture thrived almost more than anything else, not being in an after school club was like a one way ticket to the depth of social abyss. But alas, it did not stop Reina from choosing to leave.

Oh, it was just another insignificant person from her past club life. There were times in which she regretted not going back to Nagano with her mother and chose to live with her paternal grandparents in Hyogo instead. This stranger would wish Reina chose to go back to Nagano instead of being here, preparing herself for yet another verbal battle.