Chapter one

Photo: Mia Anderson
//////////
Mia woke up with a start, her heart pounding in her chest. She had been having a dream about her first day at work, and it had been filled with anxiety and stress. She shook her head, trying to clear the dream from her mind, and focused on getting ready for the day ahead.

She got out of bed and quickly got dressed, choosing a smart outfit that she hoped would impress her new boss. She had graduated from Columbia University a few months ago, and she had been thrilled when she landed a job at one of the biggest investment firms in New York City.

But as she walked to the subway, she couldn't shake the feeling of anxiety that had been plaguing her since she accepted the job. She had heard that her boss, Ryan Thomson, was difficult to work with and had a reputation for being cold and distant.

Mia tried to push the negative thoughts from her mind as she made her way to the office. She had worked hard to get to where she was, and she wasn't going to let her fear of her new boss hold her back.

As she walked into the office, she was greeted by a sea of suits and ties. She felt a pang of intimidation, but she pushed it aside and made her way to Ryan's office.

She knocked on the door and waited, her heart pounding in her chest. She heard a gruff voice from inside saying, "Come in."

Mia took a deep breath and opened the door, stepping into the office. She was greeted by a cold stare from Ryan, who was sitting behind his desk, looking at her with a mixture of impatience and disdain.

"You must be Mia Anderson," he said, his voice cold and distant. "I've heard a lot about you. You come highly recommended from Columbia."

Mia forced a smile, trying to hide her nerves. "Yes, that's me. I'm very excited to be working here, Mr. Thomson."

Ryan raised an eyebrow. "I hope you're ready to work hard. This is a demanding job, and I expect a lot from my assistant. Are you up for the challenge?"

Mia nodded, her heart pounding in her chest. She was determined to prove herself and show Ryan that she was more than capable of handling the job.

"Yes, sir. I'm ready to work hard and do my best. I won't let you down."

Ryan stared at her for a moment, and then nodded. "Good. I hope you're right. You can start by getting me a coffee and then organizing my schedule for the day. We have a lot of meetings and conference calls, and I need you to be on top of everything."

Mia nodded, trying to hide her frustration. She had graduated from one of the best universities in the country, and now she was getting coffee for her boss. But she didn't let it show, instead she focused on doing her job to the best of her ability.