Chapter eight

Ryan and Mia made it to the pizza shop, and they took a seat at a small table in the corner. Ryan felt uncomfortable being in such a cheap and informal place, as he was used to dining at expensive restaurants and fancy cafes. But he didn't say anything, knowing that it would sound pretentious and rude.

Mia noticed his discomfort, and she rolled her eyes. She knew that Ryan was used to a different lifestyle, and that he was probably judging the pizza shop and its patrons. But she didn't care, and she was determined to enjoy her dinner, no matter what Ryan thought.

They both ordered pizza, and Mia started asking Ryan about his life. She wanted to learn more about him, and to understand what made him tick. She was curious about his childhood, his hobbies, and his dreams.

Ryan hesitated, not used to talking about himself. He was a private person, and he didn't like sharing his personal history with others. But he also knew that Mia was trying to help him, and that he owed her some honesty.

"My childhood was... difficult," he said, his voice tight. "My father was never around, and when he was, he was abusive and cruel. He didn't want me, and he made it very clear. My mother was kind and loving, but she was also a victim of my father's abuse. She couldn't protect me, and I had to learn how to protect myself."

Mia listened, her heart breaking for Ryan. She couldn't imagine growing up in such a toxic and dysfunctional environment, and she felt a surge of compassion and empathy for him. She reached out and took his hand, squeezing it gently.

"I'm so sorry, Ryan," she said, her voice filled with emotion. "That must have been incredibly hard for you. No child should have to go through that."
Ryan looked at her, surprised by her gesture. He didn't expect her to show him any kindness or understanding, and he didn't know how to react. He felt a strange mix of emotions, and he didn't know what to say.

"Thank you, Mia," he said, his voice choked with emotion. "It means a lot to me that you're willing to listen and to understand. You're the only person who knows the truth about my childhood, and I appreciate your support."

Mia smiled, her heart full of warmth and tenderness.

Ryan continued to talk about his childhood, and how he had been jealous of his older brother, Chris. He explained that Chris had been kind to him, and that he had tried to protect him in his own way. But he also admitted that Chris had never stood up to their father, and that he had always been afraid of his wrath.

"Chris was always the golden boy, the one who could do no wrong in our father's eyes," Ryan said, his voice filled with bitterness. "He was smart and talented, and he always made our father proud. He was the one who was supposed to become the CEO of the family business, and he was the one who was supposed to marry a rich and beautiful woman. And I was the one who was supposed to be forgotten, the one who was supposed to be invisible."

Mia listened, her heart breaking for Ryan. She couldn't imagine how painful it must have been for him to grow up in the shadow of his perfect brother, and to always feel like he was not good enough. She felt a surge of anger and resentment towards Ryan's father, and she wished that she could do something to help Ryan heal from his past.

"I'm so sorry, Ryan," she said, her voice filled with emotion. "I can't imagine how hard it must have been for you to grow up like that. But you're not invisible, and you're not forgotten. You're a strong and successful man, and you don't need your father's approval to be happy. You deserve to be loved and appreciated, and I hope that you can find that in your life."

Ryan looked at her, surprised by her words. He didn't expect her to be so understanding and supportive, and he didn't know how to react. He felt a strange mix of emotions, and he didn't know what to say.

"Thank you, Mia," he said, his voice choked with emotion. "It means a lot to me that you're willing to listen and to understand. You're the only person who knows the truth about my childhood, and I appreciate your support. And I hope that you're right, and that I can find happiness and love in my life. I just don't know how to do that, and I don't know if I deserve it."

Mia smiled, her heart full of warmth and tenderness. She knew that she was starting to develop feelings for Ryan, and she knew that it was a dangerous and foolish thing to do. But she also couldn't deny the connection that she felt with him, and the desire to help him heal from his past.

"You deserve happiness and love, Ryan," she said, her voice gentle. "And I'm here to help you. I'm here to listen and to support you, and to be your girlfriend, even if it's just for one dinner. I care about you, Ryan, and I want you to be happy. And I hope that, one day, you can learn to love yourself, and to forgive your father for the pain he caused you. You're a good man, Ryan, and you deserve to be happy."

Ryan looked at Mia, his heart filled with gratitude and admiration. He didn't know what to say, and he didn't know how to express the emotions that he was feeling. He felt a deep connection with Mia, and he felt a strong desire to be with her, to be honest and open with her.

But at the same time, he knew that he was in a complicated situation, and that he was playing a dangerous game. He had lied to his father and his family, and he had involved Mia in his lie. And he knew that if he revealed his true feelings for her, he might risk losing her, and he might damage their working relationship.

"Thank you, Mia," he said, his voice choked with emotion. "I don't know what to say, and I don't know how to express my gratitude and my admiration for you. You're an amazing and kind woman, and you've done so much for me. And I promise, I'll do my best to be honest and open with you, and to make you happy. You deserve that, and so much more."

Mia smiled, her heart filled with joy and hope. She knew that Ryan was a complex and difficult man, and that he had a lot of emotional baggage to deal with. But she also knew that he was a good man, and that he had the potential to be happy and fulfilled. And she was determined to help him, and to be with him, no matter what the future held.