Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

"Alright, anyone want to explain to me what the actual fuck just happened?"

Nobody spoke right away. We stood in my bedroom in silence as Hades panned those glowing blue eyes on everyone, stopping at me. I glared at him as I folded my arms over my chest, then paused to grimace a little at the sting of pain in my stomach where the knife had poked me.

Poked. The guy tried to stab me up through my gut into my heart.

Luckily Ryk had chased the asshole off, but to where, no clue. Ryk had lost track of him when the asshole had managed to slip free of the house. Lucy had been too busy trying to heal me to do anything else. Hades had come right at the last second.

"Honestly, no fucking idea," I said at last, making Hades frown at me, "One second I'm heading to the stairs, only to find Ryk. In the next second, some guy is coming out of nowhere and stabbing me and beating the shit out of Ryk." I glanced over at Ryk, who looked a little worse for the wear, and when I'd mentioned him, he stiffened. Hades's blue eyes flashed and he turned on Ryk.

"What the hell are you doing at two in the morning?" He demanded. Ryk glared back at him.

"Nothing. I thought I heard someone in the house. It would seem I was correct."

"You were decked out in all black," I pointed out. Ryk shot me a dirty look and Hades's eyes darkened. He looked at Ryk.

"I'll deal with your bullshit later," he said, making Ryk avert his eyes, and Hades turned back to me, "Did you get a good look at him?" I shook my head.

"The guy was also wearing all black and some kind of mask. I didn't have much time to ask him about his fashion choice," I added.

"He's not a shadow," Ryk spoke up, making Hades glance at him, "He didn't fight like a shadow or behave like a shadow. I have no idea how he got past the security measures."

"He probably got in when you deactivated them to sneak off," Hades said pointedly. Ryk ground his teeth together, but said nothing as Hades turned to Lucy, who stood up off the side of the bed.

"Thank fuck you got there when you did," he said, making Lucy incline his head, "He'll be nursing that injury for a couple days, even with the healing, though, so no walks or games until you're solid."

"Oh, come on, that's not fair, I feel fine--"

"You're not fine. I see you avoiding the spot, which means it hurts," Hades said, making me roll my eyes, "Whatever. I want someone on the kid at all times from here on out."

"I can stay with him tonight," Lucy said, making Hades frown, "Just in case he needs some more healing." Hades nodded slowly, giving Lucy this curious stare and Lucy just smiled, like he was reassuring him somehow. I scowled, then glanced at Ryk, who seemed to be inching for the door.

"You and I are gonna talk," Hades said immediately, turning to him. Ryk glared at him, but said nothing as Hades led the way out of the room. Of course, they decided to have their conversation right outside the door.

"What the fuck is wrong with you," came Hades's snarl, "Not only did you put this family in danger, you disobeyed me."

"You are not my parent," Ryk argued, "You have absolutely no reason whatsoever to ban my seeing Aric--"

"I absolutely fucking do. He's just after your shit, Ryk, don't be stupid. He doesn't give a shit about you as a person, just what you can get him. Don't be a dumb bitch--"

"He is not! He has his own money and his own power, he has no need for mine--"

"He's a baron, Ryk. He's barely a grade above commoner. He's already bullying you into getting shit for him and doing this and that-- For fuck's sake, you snuck out of the house to see him after I told you not to and you probably did it because he asked you to--"