Chapter 6

The sun disappears behind the dark, gray clouds and the light gets cast into shadows - it's a sign that a storm is approaching in the horizon, outside of the classroom window.

"Can anyone tell me what Shakespeare was trying to say with this quote?" It's safe to say that I've spaced out and stopped listening to my way too energetic English lit teacher. "Anyone?" Ms Walkers asks as she scans the class, before her eyes momentarily locks with mine. I squirm uncomfortably beneath her stare and as I do so I unintentionally manage to press my phone out of my back pocket. Luckily Ms Walkers has looked away and has missed my phone's escape from my pocket.

I wait until her focus is drawn back to the board before I reach behind me to retrieve my phone. I can feel my fingers brushing against the side of it, but my arm wont twist as far as I need it to in order to reach my phone, so instead of getting a secure hold of it, my fingers brush the side of it sending it out over the edge of the seat and plummeting towards the carpet covered classroom floor.

"Shit," I mumble, as I bend over on my chair and reach for my phone, before anyone has a chance to see what I've dropped.

"Yes miss Williams?" Ms Walkers asks. I'm still bend over on my chair and I can spot her pointy shoes from under the table, as she comes to a stop in front of my desk. Shit, I'm busted.

"Huh?" I ask, as I emerge from under the table. I'm pretty sure that I sound as stupid out loud as I do in my head.

"You must have some kind of excuse to be interrupting my class. I'm waiting to hear it." I can hear snickers from the back of the classroom, sneaking their way to the front. Ms Walkers doesn't seem to take notice of her class' amused whispers. She just stands there staring at me, with her arms crossed and with her eyebrow raised so far up on her forehead that it almost disappears in her hairline.

"I - bathroom?" I stutter and the whole class breaks out into full-blown laughter. I sound like a five year old being accused of stealing from the cookie jar on the upper shelf in the kitchen and in this moment I wish more than anything that the floor would part and suck me into the earth.

"Do you need a bathroom pass, miss Williams?" I'm so humiliated by the whole situation that my throat has twisted up, cutting me off from getting a single word across my lips.

"What a loser," someone whispers in the back.

"Total dork," Ryland snickers to a guy with dirty blond hair, as I rise from my seat in the front of the class and accept the hallway pass that Ms Walkers is holding out for me.

I keep my eyes locked on the ground as I make my way through the rows of amused students and towards the classroom door. I exhale in relief as I hear the sound of the door shutting closed behind me, but I don't stop walking. Even though I don't have to pee I make my way down the hallway and towards the bathrooms. It feels as if my phone is burning a hole in my back pocket, as I hurry down the hallway of Fairview HS. I could stop in my tracks, lean against the wall and wipe my phone out right this minute, but I'm too scared that a hallway patrol will catch me out of class to do so.

When I'm finally safely locked away inside a stall in the vacant bathroom I've received more than one message and my curiosity has already ripped its way through three layers of my insides in anticipation.

Hero56: hey

Hero56: you busy?

Hero56: hallo? 

Hero56: you busy or you ignoring me? I roll my eyes as I type a reply for him. He's so impatient that it makes me want to ignore him for a while, just to teach him a lesson.