Chapter 24

My phone must be broken. It has to be. It's the only reasonable explanation as to why I still haven't heard back from Taylen. Frustrated with it I bang it lightly against the edge of the sink and will it to work again. Nothing happens. In fact, now my phone seems more reluctant to function the way I want it to than it was before I started violently tapping it against the sink.

"Look who we have here." My eyes shoot from my phone and up to the mirror, meeting hers in the reflection. Just the sight of her is enough to spike my anxiety through the roof. It doesn't really help that she's smirking at me like a cat getting ready to play with its mouse. "If it isn't Winchester high school's own little thief."

I have to get out of here. I need to get away. "I don't know what you're talking about," I tell her as I turn to face her and start to make my way towards the door. When I try to push past her to get to the door, she grabs a hold of my wrist and holds me in place.

"I know what you did," she whispers at me, wit her mouth so close to my ear that I can feel her icy cold breath fan across my cheek. "You're such a little liar. Did you honestly believe that he would fall for you? Leave me for you?" It feels like my insides has boarded a wild rollercoaster ride, resulting in my fragile glass heart dropping to the floor and breaking into a thousand shards against the tile floor. "He's gonna loathe you even more when I tell him."

"What are you talking about?" I try to fake oblivion, but my voice breaks halfway through the sentence and I know I'm busted.

"Don't play so innocent. I know everything about your little talks with Justin." I hate this; how small she makes me feel, like I don't matter at all. I try to fit the nausea creeping up on me, but it's close to impossible when Samantha keeps talking. "I've always known you were a little manipulating bitch, but now I have my proof. To think that you tricked Justin into breaking up with me. It's a good thing that I'm willing to forgive him for his mistake."

She's right; I'm a mistake. How am I ever to love myself, or expect Justin to love me, when she looks like she just stepped off of a cover on a magazine and she's willing to take him back. I always knew it was a matter of time before my fairy tale would come to an ending.

"What do you want?"

"I want you to end it. Right here and now."

"And what if I don't?" I challenge her weakly.

"Then I'll let the whole school, including Justin, know how phony you are."

"Fine," I agree hesitantly. I'm on the verge of tears, because I know it's either or. At least ending it with Justin will ensure that he will never get to know the truth about me; how fake I am.

With an unsteady hand I pull my phone out of my back pocket and unlock it. The app loads almost instantly, granting me no time to process the thought of what I'm about to do.

The little red icon is placed in the upper left corner. I've never really noticed it before, but now I can't seem to get my eyes off of it, the red color mocking me from within the screen.

Are you sure you wish to block Hero56?

Yes | No

No, I chant to myself, willing the app to crash, but nothing happens. The phone remains locked onto Kickster and with Samantha's cold eyes locked on me I'm left with nothing else to do than make the final tap, forever disconnecting me from my fairy tale world with Justin.

Hero56 is now blocked.

Samantha is wickedly satisfied after having seen Justin's screen name vanish from my limited friend list on Kickster. It makes me hate her more than I thought possible.

"All I wanted was a moment of happiness," I mumble helplessly at her, my eyes remaining on the blank screen.

"I'm sure you did," she mocks me, before she breaks into a fit of giggles. "Too bad happiness isn't meant for losers."

Maybe she's right; maybe I'm not meant for happiness. Maybe I'm meant to live in total solitary forever, only finding temporary happiness in imaginary things, like books and TV shows. But what kind of life is that?

Samantha leaves shortly after that. I suspect that she has other lives to ruin now that she is completely done with mine. I feel awfully hollow, as if a dementor has swooped through the bathroom, cleaning out all traces of life. I guess that kind of did happen, because Samantha does resemble a dementor awfully a lot: she takes everything and leaves nothing but sadness and empty shells of people behind in her wake.

That's when the tech gods finally decided to answer my prayers and my phone buzzed with a new message from Taylen. Seeing her name light up my phone soothes me in an odd way, which I can't quite describe. It's as if someone has thrown a blanket over all of my problems, and although they're now all out of sight, they're still not quite all out of mind.

Taylen: I saw you, her message reads and instantly my heart drops for the second time today, the glued back shards breaking further more.

One by one, the puzzle pieces start to fall into place and as they do my bone wrenching sadness flips to pure, red-heated anger and every possible consequence seems forgotten. I have nothing left to lose.

//AN: only two chapters left - do you think there's anything left to salvage of Justin and Cassidy's relationship? And what's up with Taylen's weeeeeeeird message? I looooooooove you for all of the comments on the last chapter - you guys CRACK ME UP!!!!!! May your unicorns always have wind beneath their wings and may your iced chocolate-mocha frappé never run out of whipped cream!! xx//