Chapter 23

I frown at the numbers on the scale in front of me. They're still increasing and I don't understand how it's possible. I should be losing weight, not gaining it.

It's so frustrating to know that as hard as I try, I just can't get it right and it makes me want to scream as loud as I can and hit or bite something as hard as I can. But most of all it makes me want to huddle up right here on the hardwood floor and cry and cry and cry until I pass out from exhaustion.

I've tried everything: from skipping meals to sticking two fingers down my throat and all it earns me is the same disgusted feeling I get whenever I look at myself in the mirror. No wonder Justin won't admit that he's seeing someone new, I bet he's embarrassed to admit the truth; that he's stuck with me.

As if on cue my phone comes to live with a new message from Justin. Speaking of the devil, I think to myself, as I step off the scale and reach for the phone.

Hero56: are you busy? He asks and instantly my self-destructing and half-heartedly depressing thoughts are long forgotten. All that matters is Justin - it's scary really how much it's true.

Princess123: no, why? I hit send and flop onto my bed, waiting for his reply.

Hero56: I was wondering how soon too soon is to ask you out again... I pull my bottom lip between my teeth to prevent my face from splitting into a wide grin, as I finish reading his message.

Princess123: oh?

Hero56: so, what's the verdict? I can't help but chuckle at his message. It's so easy to forget who

Princess123: depends on what you have in mind, I tell him.

Hero56: don't worry princess; I'll sweep you off your feet. I'm dumbfounded at the effect Justin has on me - I've always been. Even now, when we're God knows how far apart, he has me blushing the shade of a tomato.

Princess123: that doesn't really answer my question.

I'm hesitant to give into his unspoken question, because the more time I spend with Justin the more it will hurt once he rejects me.

Hero56: you'll have to see it for yourself, he writes and I imagine him winking at me.

Princess123: fine...

Hero56: is that a yes? I groan at his message. He's really going to make me spell it out for him.

Princess123: just tell me where to meet you, I tell him. I'm already making my way towards my mother's bathroom. I rummage through her drawers to find her makeup bag and start to apply it to the best of my abilities.

Once dressed and ready I lock my bedroom door from the inside and sneak out of my bedroom window. It's not because I'm afraid my parents would deny me to go out if I went through the front door, but I want to keep Justin and I to myself for the remaining time we have left, before the inevitable will happen and I'm forced to let him go.

Justin has sent me the directions for the city park in a message, but I don't need them. I know the way there by heart. I used to work at the snack stand all throughout summer, scraping together whatever kind of money I could make to help my parents pay for college. I haven't been back since I quit the job last summer, but the park looks like it always has.

Justin is sitting on the bed of his truck, waiting for me, and I pull my car up next to his truck.

"Hey," he smiles as I make my way around my car and towards him. He engulfs me in a hug the minute I step within his reach and instantly I'm wrapped in the comforting smell of Justin - there's really no other way to describe it. I try to conceal my surprise when he finally lets me go and gestures for me to take a seat next to him on the bed of his truck. "I missed you," he admits shyly and I can't help but laugh as a small blush settles onto his cheeks.