12) KABIR~ Feeling like a Chase

I stared at Nalini who was sitting along her lawyer. Her legs fold and her hands clasped together as she stared at Khan. I was sure of one thing, she didn't care. She was sure she'd win this case, so was I. I had made sure the bestest lawyer would handle this case and no matter what, Nalini would win anyway.

I sighed and my eyes shifted to Khan's lawyer. "Mrs. Nalini Kabir Shekhawat was wearing an explicit outfit as shown in the video. She had purposely removed her coat to seduce Mr.Khan. To give the same proof, we would like to present Mr Khan's girlfriend as a witness." He said as he looked at Nalini.

Nalini raised her brows and I clenched my jaw. This was exactly the shit I knew they'd stir. I leaned back and the judge allowed them to continue. I saw Rachel walk down the aisle and take a seat on the witness's side. I smiled gently. She looked rather nervous. The whole room went silent.

"It's true. She had been eyeing my boyfriend since the beginning of the dinner. I had already warned Khan about her but he ignored it as Mr. Shekhawat was an important client for him. Also the wine wouldn't even spill if Mrs. Shekhawat purposely didn't do it. Then she left the table and most importantly Mr. Shekhawat left her alone. It was all their plan to take down Mr. Khan." She said in one go and I wanted to laugh so loud.

I looked at Nalini who just sighed. Her lawyer had the same reaction. I looked down gently. What a foolish move. The judge looked over at our side. "Is that true Mr. Rathor?" He gestured to Nalini's lawyer, who stood up and smiled gently. "Of-course not. Mrs. Shekhawat has something to say, please allow her."

The judge nodded. Nalini cleared her throat as she brought the mic closer to her lips. "Well, I have a question. According to Mr. Sai, what about my outfit was explicit? My body? My bare shoulders? My bare legs? Or me being a woman wearing something I had been wanting to wear? How is it a seduction to wear something I am okay with, my husband is okay with and my family is okay with? Rachel, you as a woman should answer me, what in my attire was different than yours? Why was I the only one seducing?" Nalini's anger could be heard in her calmness.

I remembered exactly what happened three weeks ago. I wasn't supposed to be here but I had my duty towards my family and it sucked how casually I accepted it. I truly didn't wish to witness this hearing and I hated the fact that it was all going how I expected it to. I hated to see Khan, but I loved the blood clot under his eyes and neck. I clenched my jaw as there was dead silence in the court for a few seconds longer than should have been.

I heard my name being called and that's when I realised I was lost in my thoughts. I turned my head to Mr. Rathor who smiled gently. "Do you have the pen-drive?" He asked and I nodded my head as I stood their tall and handed him the small device I had been holding all this time. He took it from me and my eyes shot to Nalini's briefly. She smiled lightly, I wasn't sure if it was for me but in that one moment I felt completely blank.

She was sitting there with a tired face and a smile. Her attire was a deep green saree, complementing her skin. I couldn't help but think of everything between us prior the argument. I sighed gently, guilt filled me deep inside as I thought of my mother's words earlier this morning. She was right, I had a valid reason for what I did but I was wrong on some parts. And that part was breaking Nalini's emotional trust intentionally.

I clenched my jaw gently when I thought of her crying in my arms. She wasn't the one who initiated it. I wanted her to let it out, let it go. I wanted her to tell me, to bring those darned walls down. But she broke my trust. I pushed my boundaries to have her sleep next to me, in my arms for one thing, and she couldn't do it. The same way her father did, I trusted him with all my heart but it faded into nothing but hurting myself.

I gulped gently as my eyes went back to the screen on one side. I saw the video playing as Khan paid the chef to spike Nalini and mine drink. I sighed as I leaned back in the chair. I turned my head gently to look at Vishal, my close friend, the bestest chef. When I knew he was appointed for Khan's dinner, I told him that I knew something was off and he should just go with the flow.