13) NALINI~ Always a square one

I took a deep breath as I turned the door knob. I had made some porridge for him when I should've kicked him right out. I shouldn't have this much empathy for him but he had helped when I needed it. Even now, I couldn't stop thinking of the court hearing. It was all due to him we won the case in such a short time. The evidence was so rigid, no one could deny it.

I peeked inside the room and I saw him covered with my duvet. It seemed little for his tall frame. He was also bigger than me and I could see the duvet failed to cover his torso completely. I sighed as I put the porridge on the nightstand and walked towards my closet. I pulled out a double-sized blanket out of the cupboard attached to it.

I put the blanket on the bed while I noticed his shifting in his sleep. I slyly removed the blanket off of him and he opened his eyes, frowning at me. I covered him as quick as possible and made sure his feet were tucked in. He wouldn't stop staring at me through sleep laced eyes. "This is warmer and bigger." I muttered and what I didn't know was that he had long closed his eyes again.

I didn't want him to sleep without having anything to eat. I edged closer to him and placed my hand against his forehead again. He groaned gently when I touched his neck. "Your temperature is rising even more." I told him as I nudged his arm carefully.
"Get up and eat this. I will get you meds for you to sleep peacefully." I sounded stern yet I had this familiar warmth and worry in my chest.

It's been long since I had to look after someone. I had never seen Kabir so humbled and gentle as today. It made me doubt my decisions purely. I helped him sit as he obliged without a question. I handed him the bowl, taking notes of his looks. His hair was a mess, his skin pale and his lips a little chappie than they ever were. His cheeks were tinted red as his nose and ears and that was the cutest site to be ever witnessed.

I couldn't stop the curve appearing on my lips as he turned his eyes back to me. "Is it funny?" He asked. His voice even deeper and It made me question if I really wanted to annoy him further. I shook my head side to side. "Well then why are you smiling?" He coughed gently and I frowned.

"I will go get some honey water for you." I hurried outside. I did this both to avoid his question and due to the worry that creeped me. I could never see someone fall sick. It reminded me of my mom and how it just got worse. I felt anxiousness rising inside me.
.
.
.
.
"Not this!" Kabir slapped my hand away as I tried to put the wet folded clothe across his forehead. I frowned. "You're burning, and this is the only way to keep your temperature down. I can't risk it." I crossed my legs as I glared at him.

He sighed and I placed the clothe on his forehead. I dipped another one in ice water and then wring out the excess water from it before I put it on his neck. He groaned silently again. "Nalini."
I hummed in response and he opened his eyes to look at me.  "Can you lay on me?" He asked and I frowned before confusion struck me. What the fuck?

"Excuse me, What?" I almost yelled. He sighed. "My body hurts until I fall asleep lay on me, the weight is relaxing, or just put some weight on me." He said it so casually and it was so weird of him to ask me such a thing. I wanted to say no but seeing that look on his face he meant it, I knew what it was like to fall sick.

I put the bowl on the nightstand next to him, where it was reachable. I shifted on my knees and looked down at him. My mind raced with every dirty thought ever despite him being sick. I leaned forward as I put my knees on both of his sides. He closed his eyes as if ignoring that this was rather a silly trap.

I leaned on top of him as I put my legs straight on his. I was of-course smaller than him. He sighed and I felt his heartbeat in my ears with my head pressed right on top of it. I felt him relax gently. The warmth couldn't be concealed by the thick duvet between us. I pouted as sadness filled me. Disappointment filled me. The fact that I was supposed to be alone right now, minding my business, ignoring him completely. But in reality I was just laying on top of him, with my head on his chest and his hands appearing out of nowhere that hugged me in place.