01 - Gost

Most of humanity either feared the uncertain future or regretted the immutable past. The happier ones lived in the moment and appreciated the present.

Gost could do neither.

He stepped out of the Limbo dimension and manifested in our world, willfully giving up some of his powers for now. He could no longer see the past or the future. He could not enjoy the blissful ignorance of the present either - he remembered everything he saw and foresaw, and the knowledge weighed him down.

Gost took a deep breath of cold, moist air and opened his eyes.

He saw his reflection in the perfect, seemingly endless mirror. Today, he was his true self, standing amidst the thick Twilight. He showed his true self on rare occasions of high importance. In a few hours, he would be challenging the laws of physics on even ground. Century after century of futile efforts led him to this day. Century after century, the Universe crushed his arrogant plans with ease. It was time for the tide to turn.

He looked over himself in the mirror. Himself. What did it mean - himself? He shed and changed many identities over the centuries. It was easy to forget who he was. A tall, well-built man in his mid-fifties with dark smooth skin and short gray hair? Indeed, he could be this man at some point had he lived an everyday life. Only his eyes were off. One was a dark abyss, deeper than you would expect to see in the oldest of men. Another was milky white, from daring to look at the dimension of Eternity – something the Universe would never let him pay off.

Gost wore a perfectly tailored black suit that felt like a second skin. He adjusted his silver-colored tie and checked his handkerchief to match. He felt anxious as if he was about to enter a crucial job interview. Stress was not frequent for him. He forgot the last time he experienced it. After living for so long, he could not be bothered with anything. Still, today like never before, he felt that the Universe watched his every move with rage.

Controlling his breathing, Gost looked at his square watch on an old worn-out leather strap. He had a few minutes to spare and gather his thoughts.

His eyes were now fully adjusted to the Twilight. The Twilight with a capital T: thick, gloomy, devoid of any color and almost any light. Gost felt it on his skin. It pressed him from all sides and made it hard to breathe. Not because the air was stiff or unpleasant, quite the opposite, but because Gost was always aware of the vast scale of the Twilight at all times. It was everywhere, blanketing the entire Earth. It was not the twilight of dusk or dawn from the olden age, saying goodbye to the sun in the evening or waiting for its return in the morning. It was the Twilight of today, hunting any light, killing it, longing to fulfill its destiny to become the Eternal Night.

Gost clenched his fists and straightened his back, pushing against the aura of the Twilight. It retreated a few inches away, afraid of his inner strength. However, what gave the Twilight birth, what maintained it, was anything but shy and pliable. Behind his reflection, Gost saw the mother of the Twilight and the main reason for his planned insolence against the natural order.

Gost saw Mirror Sky.